1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

bobcat operator pay

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jeff113113, Feb 3, 2010.

1. jeff113113

jeff113113 Junior Member

How much should someone get paid to operate a bobcat?
  2. NW Snow Removal

NW Snow Removal Senior Member

depends on the skill, but 30 is fair for snow work.
  3. blizzardsnow

blizzardsnow Member

30 seem like plenty to operate a skid steer that they don't own
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  4. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

$30 seems high but top operator skills are priceless.
    I pay $18-$24 jmo
  5. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Depends on skill level. Like BlackIrish said a good operator is priceless. Around here for snow removal someone with little experience would start around $15-18. For a very good operator i have seen up to $26.
  6. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

My first year guy is at $15. My fourth year guy that needs absolutely no supervision or direction gets $25. He has never asked for a raise but if he did, he would get it.
  7. badabing1512

badabing1512 Senior Member

15 to 25 depending on exp, 30s alot
  8. ryde307

ryde307 PlowSite Veteran

30 is high for us. Its 15 for beginner and up to around 25. I could go 30 in some situations.
  9. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

I know a big company around here that pays guys to run wheel loaders $12/hr!
  10. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

i guess if people need the money theyll work for that amount... seems awful low to be out in the cold all day
  11. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

Agreed--in Chicagoland, a top-notch "point and shoot" SS operator is worth $30. Entry level "go play in the salt pile" guys are worth $18-20, with average skill coming in between.
  12. dforbes

dforbes Senior Member

I don't pay an operator for a bobcat. When the bobcat gets ran I do it myself. I really had not thought about this question. I would think that $30 per hour would be on the low side for a good operator for snow. There are very few people that really know how to run a bobcat properly in our area, at least that I have seen. I will be interested to see what the guys that pay their workers $25 per hour for sidewalks pay for a good bobcat operator.
  13. lawnkale

lawnkale Senior Member
    from Indiana

i pay my sidewalks guys more than bobcat operator cause their in heated cab and its easy. The sidewalks guys are out in the cold and doing alot of work. I can find operators all day long but a good shovel guys is one you want to keep
  14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You pay? I've been doing it for free it's so fun.....

Like driveway prices, very localized. Around here you would have a line a mile long at $30. Some of those guys would be in suits and ties.
  15. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

$30 is too high for someone driving your equip
    $15 would make alot of people happy here
  16. bossman22

bossman22 Senior Member

We have our own bobcat I either operate it or run the dmax another guy will run it sometimes and im not gonna lie he is alot faster than me im good but he is an excavator with a skid in the summer so... I quit.
  17. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

I pay my best guy $30 a hour for driving my pick-up. Over payed? Yes, but he is very realiable and I don't have to go back and check the lots out. My favorite thing is he doesn't beat on the equipment and still gets the work done in a timely fashion!
  18. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

15/hr around here would get you a caged monkey. 25-30/hr is the norm. Same price for someone to run a pick-up
  19. dfrench

dfrench Junior Member

i think i should come out to chicago for the winter and work for pushin2please
  20. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

I think 2COR has extended skills of Bobcat training! You should see him operate them skidders on a job site....:laughing:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GdFB0fNfhJ8&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GdFB0fNfhJ8&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ozbVtSZE2Lo&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ozbVtSZE2Lo&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>