1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bobcat Operation

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by 02crew, Dec 11, 2010.

1. 02crew

02crew Junior Member

Just wondering if it is proper to have front tires of the bobcat off of the ground 2 feet and the bucket at a 45* angle to the ground with edge of the bucket on the ground when removing snow? I was watching the idiots that are removing the snow at the auction I work at Friday, and they were doing the above. Seems to me that they would make more progress by putting the snow push box on, but what do I know,

2. snocrete

snocrete Banned

If your trying to scrape up hard pack, then fine(though 2ft seems a little excessive)....but you do lose traction & pushing power as soon as the front tires leave the ground. I try and run the machine in float when doing the above mentioned with bucket(creates a "slight" safety aspect to it). BUT, on most tire machines when you do this the front tires lift off the ground when you take off.....this isnt the case though with track machines from what I have found.

3. hitachiman 200

hitachiman 200 Senior Member

by lifting the front tires off the ground you
    1) shift the weight to the rear which in turn puts less weight on the cutting edge.
    2) less stable in that with 4 tires on the ground the machine will natureally go in a straight line.
    3) 4 tires equals more traction to push with.
    4) machine tends to come to a complete halt if you hit something solid,..manhole, I.C.expansion joint, and that can seriously hurt operator,machine and obstical.
    5) driving with the front wheels up usually meens that the boom is in the bottom stops. When a solid object is hit this means that the bucket must absorb all off the forces and if the cutting edge is even 50%worn generally results in a nicely veed shape which might be ok for laying pipe but pretty much brings it's snow clearing days to an end.
    Better to lift the boom up and tip the bucket down. this brings the cutting edge closer to the machine thereby increasing pressure to cut through the compact snow.This also enables the bucket and boom to deflect the forces and "bounce over" any inanimate objects that the creature in the cab may unknowingly bump into thereby lessoning the damage to itself and the enviroment around it:mechanic:.

4. fargosnowpro

fargosnowpro Member

I usually see this all over town and tend to shake my head. Granted were running track machines but only on certain occasions to I pick the front up a little (1-2" tops), say when I'm scraping buildup around gas pumps or in drive throughs. The rest of the time I run the bucket at an angle in the float position, the weight of the bucket and boom seems to be more than enough to scrape the majority away.