1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bobcat/New Holland opinion

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by jdilliplane1, Dec 6, 2012.

1. jdilliplane1

jdilliplane1 Senior Member

So I have been looking for awhile for a skid steer since I am looking to shift my focus in the summer from landscaping to retaining wall/ paver installation. Of course it will be used for snow:redbounce

I have gotten a price from bobcat for a brand new s205 a51 package bobtach, 4 in 1 bucket, etc for just under 35 out the door. But I have also been looking used and have a few which I'm not sure about. The 2 I really like are a 2006 Bobcat s205 with just a bucket 631 hours that guy is looking for 15k, the other is a 2002 New Holland LS180 with 1200 hours, comes with grapple, forks, bucket, and snow bucket for 14K.

Not sure if these prices are good or whatnot, been reading like crazy lately trying to find out as much as I can about these machines.
  2. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

That NH sounds like a smoking deal. 5k in attachments alone minimum
  3. icudoucme

icudoucme Senior Member

GO with the bobcat! The new machines are monsters. Test them out first!!!!!! Once you use the bobcat you won't want anything else.. I have a CAT and wished I waited one more year to buy the bobcat after I tested one out at a demo day... Seriously tell the dealer or who ever is selling it you need to test it if you haven't already.
  4. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

At 1200 hours the NH will more than likely have pins and bushing badly worn out, coming from a guy who has a 2001 and a 2005.

However they have been great machines and are always priced less than most others
  5. jdilliplane1

I have tested out the Bobcat and honestly it was awesome. I never even operated a skid before, the salesman didnt believe me after watching me for five minutes. He was like your a natural, HAHA.

Anyway, Matt how much do those pins and bushings run to get replaced? Also, what am I looking for maintanence wise?

Leasing for me is my only option, I cant swing 700 a month all year yet. It was like 425/month for 60 months and 17k buyout at the end.

I just felt that I would always feel paranoid about letting anyone else run something that nice. My route consists of a bunch of wawas which have to be done a certain way, the skid would do three smaller locations right next to each other.
  6. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

I am a fanatic New Holland guy ,own a bunch...BUT I don't own an LS 180. I don't know if you've driven it yet but I believe the 180's had something like a "centrifical drive pump something or other " that whinned quite a bit. I rented one and it was loud .It would have been in the 2000-2004 range probably. It ran great but was just loud in side the cab. Do a little research because I don't know all the details about why that particular model was different. I think I learned about it over on the skidsteer forum site
  7. MatthewG

The 4 pins at the bucket are the bad ones, about a grand for the dealer to do the work with parts, oil change in the chain drives are a must , the 05 is much improved over the 01.

You really need to test it out, put a load on the bucket/arms check for play.

Is this an enclosed cab model?
  8. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Buy the New Holland. It's the better of the two by far. Personally I wouldn't use a bobcat to smack a dog in the a$$ with let alone try to get work done. Like stated above, lots of $$$ in attachments with that machine.
  9. lawnboy2121

lawnboy2121 Senior Member

I have a 96 johndeere 8875 witch is a newholland 180. I replaced the 4 bucket bushings a few years ago I did the work my self it was no where near $1000 the rest of the pins r original 4300 hrs on the machine It still runs like new . In 16 yrs of running I put less than $1200 in parts .that is not bad. I bought a new L225 last fall and so far it kicks but. quiet good visibility and pushes snow like a animal
  10. jdilliplane1

Well, the new holland sold before I could get there of course. Anyway, I have a buddies 763 1998 1300 hours with trailer, grapple, and bucket possibly. My one friend has used it and attests to it being a good working machine. Asking 11k, but gonna try to get him down to 9k. Only thing is it is garage kept right now, but is needing a door. Anyone have any idea what one would cost from dealer or a place to find one cheaper. Thinking this might be the way to go so I'm not tying up tons of cash. What do you guys think?
  11. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

There's quite a few companies that make doors( http://stores.ebay.com/Thermfast-industries) is one. A stock bobcat door will be pricey,maybe find one used.An important issue to consider is support.Is there a dealer close by?Most machines have pros/cons. I own Bobcat but don't have a hard-on for certain brands like some.Find a nice original paint ,low hour machine,if your not sure what to look for hire a mechanic to take a look.Or have it dropped off at dealer to have it checked out.
  12. 1rubbertrack

1rubbertrack Junior Member

I have a 2007 J.D. CT322 with cab,heat,2-speed, 2 buckets, forks with 1225 hrs for 25k.Well maintained.
  13. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

Skid steer solutions has a decent product. I've bought one of the Lexan Cab enclosures from them before. I did upgrade to what they call their "forestry door" which is more heavy duty door. It's thicker than the standard 1/8" Lexan door. I believe it's a 1/2" if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  14. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

I like running the NH controls way better than the Bobcat foot controls.
  15. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

I'd pay 9k for that machine with attachments. Good deal. Especially if it's been garage kept all it's life AND IN GOOD SHAPE. You can find a factory door used for what the thermocast doors are new. 4-600.

I just realized it comes with a trailer too? If you dont take it for 9K, give me his number..
  16. MatthewG

Where are the pics of the 98??

Yea you can get a bobcat door, if it has the triangle style lights for a few hundred on eBay, I even bought one at an auction for 200 new
  17. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

763 sounds like a good deal. 1300 hrs is very low. One thing to think about though is that it will not lift full pallets of pavers or retaining wall blocks or large boulders if that's what you use most. What i'm saying is make sure you get a machine that will do all the work you intend to do. If you want to use it for plowing, it should be a 2-speed. If you're just using it on small lots or drives or just to stack, then single speed is fine. Good luck, and take your time, and make a good decision.Thumbs Up
  18. jdilliplane1

Yea right now I think the 763 is where in looking to go. With my contracts I have in place, it will be payed off by the spring. Basically, right now it needs a few hydraulic lines replaced that are leaking and something about the pan in the tank acting up making it airbound. If anyone sees a door, let me know. Ill post pics when I take a look at it, hopefully Monday if my bank would stop being so slow. Figure it'll work for what I'm gonna use it for.
  19. MatthewG

Does it have the triangle lights or the older square? I know 98-99 was the change over years I believe
  20. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

98's where still the "F series" with the outboard rectangle lights. Pretty sure the "G-series" came out in 2001 with the triangle lights...........