1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bobcat Model

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by The Grassman, Nov 11, 2003.

1. The Grassman

The Grassman Member

What bobcat model to use for clearing snow ?

Rental yards say 753 i was thinking higher or the s185 i think it's called. Those are bobcats. I know i should get 2 spd so i am told here. I want to use a pusher box on it prolly 10'.

anyone use the bobcat attachments like the snow box or there vblade ?
  2. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

Don't know about attachments. But I just leased a 753 this year for our smaller places to move snow around. Also does some of our city side walks on commercial property's. The machine should work out great

3. CNYScapes

CNYScapes Senior Member

I have a bobcat 751, not bad for moving a little snow , but my friends tell me if you want to do parking lots you need a new holland with the 2 speed. The bobcats like mine arent fast enough.payup
  4. firemedic680

firemedic680 Member
    from BG Ohio

Grassman , the S185 will be perfect for a 10' snowbox. The 753 would be ok , but it will not like a much more than a 3" event. I have sold the S220 W/ 2sp and gold package and 12' pushers , and 88" snow buckets and all the customers love them.
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2003
  5. accipiter12

accipiter12 Senior Member

Get a wheel loader, that will clear fast! :drinkup:

The guys up in Canada use a nice wheel loader for the streets and the huge parking lots that ski resorts have. Then they use skidsteers with a plow and they had a snow blower for the driveways, maybe to make it look "cleaner" and not have snow piled up. Don't kow.

6. The Grassman

The Grassman Member

yeah where i live on a cul-de-sac 6 homes in each one the city has to get someone in with loaders and they work all nite all day with them doing my nieghborhood. I see the bust stops gt cleared with wheel loaders mainly case. Last year some big concrete co was doing the bus stop pads the loader was huge and he took up chunks of sod.. Goof's...
  7. Bossfan

Bossfan Member
    from Kansas

I am a CAT skidsteer (and other CAT units) fan. I own a CAt 262 skidsteer with 2 spd. LOVE IT!!!:drinkup: As far as Bobcat... I would say the eight series for a 10' blade and 7 series for a 6' or an 8' blade. The 2 spd is worth the money. My Cat has all options and they come in handy for comfort, speed and quick thorough plowing. I like the snow pushers like PRotech, Daniels and Avalanche. I have used the V blade on a loader but i like pushers more. B4 you go and buy another skidsteer brand, i recommend you try CATERPILLAR. If you are used to Case, JD, or Bobcat controls, mention it to the Cat Rental Store people. The Cat controls can be swapped over to other control patterns.
    E- mail me if you have any other questions. Be glad to help!!:waving: shouldertoshouldervp@hotmail.com Jon
  8. The Grassman

The Grassman Member

I used a cat lasy year for a sod job takeing up old blacktop and gravel i almost took out this guys fence cuz of the stupid joystick.

I just made it without doing any damadge. I like the case set up. My ankel gets soar form taping the pedel for the bucket and arms and i wasnt useing it long i used it at my work to get ready for the spring set up of the greenhouse. I am surprised ( home depot ) let us rent the machine or even paid for us at the store to u se it those 2 days.

It was good to get in one again.
  9. jpl

jpl Member
    from ct.

Whatever brand skidder you get, go with a blizzard plow.
  10. jiriki87

jiriki87 Member

Yup, CAt 262, 2 Speed, with Blizzard 810SS plow. What are you guys thoughts on the sqaure high tensil chains for just the back tires on my skid steer?
    I've plowed once this year in a flat black top parking lot and it was the best thing since sliced bread. I'm thinking I only need chains going up those hills.

I'll take some pics when I start piling up that nice light fluffy snow.

11. accipiter12

accipiter12 Senior Member

I think this picture I've posted is the type of wheel loader Silver Star Canada uses. I know it's an orange one, this color orange, not case color. It might be this model or the next one up. I think it's a nice one.

I'd rather use a loader then my truck.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2003
  12. timm9

timm9 Senior Member

I have a CAT 910 that works great along with 3 trucks. I just turned down a good commerical contract because the person who designed the building and parking lot is clueless about snow removal. I started thinking about a skidsteer (which would work for that application). When I looked at the CAT 262 the top travel speed was only 7 mph. There is no mention of a 2 speed option on the website. What is the top travel speed of the 262 with the 2 speed option?
  13. The Grassman

The Grassman Member

some of the bobcat 2spd's can do 12mph. I saw that on the bobcat site.
  14. timm9

timm9 Senior Member

Thanks! I was very interested in the CAT 262. But at 7 mph it's not even an option. I will check out the Bobcat!
  15. ace911emt

ace911emt Member

mine only goes 7 mph get the 2 speed!!! in the lot it is fine but traveling on the road i an a nuisance. my next on e will be a 2 speed!!!
  16. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

timm9, Not sure if that picture in your (aviator?) is yours but thats a nice lookin old loader with chains. Any pics?
  17. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

Is it true that a 700 series Bobcat can only handle a 3" storm?? Or is it due to the 10' snow box????

This doesn't sound right at all--- I have a 3.5 hp 2 stroke snowblower that easily handles 5 inches of dry or 3" of wet snow.

Are you sure about the Bobcat?? I see a 700 series doing the sidewalk across from my house easily pushing 12" with a general purpose bucket--not sure what size bucket though--at least 60".

What am I missing here?????? Thanks! :waving:
  18. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If you want to make money with it you will need the 2 speed. I have one person working for me that has a JCB 190 with a 8' pusher box. This thing is pretty quick. One major advantage is, he can push in both directions as it turns on a dime. No real backing up. I have a 325 John Deere with 2 speed we use for loading salt and loader work. It is also very fast.
  19. mbella

mbella Junior Member

I have an S185 and have pushed with an 8' box just fine. The 1 speed is fine for me because the machine is mainly cleaning curbs and tight areas, not traveling long distances.