1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bobcat lighting

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by GLS, Nov 30, 2014.

1. GLS

GLS Senior Member

Just thought I'd share a video and pics of the lighting system I just installed on our bobcat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=PPIVVZypWyU

Used a whelen mini justice on the roof (magnet mount) that I had on another truck.

Feniex cannon LED hideaways installed into the rear worklights. The factory bulbs weren't very bright, so I replaced with these. No drilling required, factory bulb hole was already 1". Just siliconed and screwed into place.

Hooked up so when factory rear worklight switch is activated, HAW turns on steady white (takes priority so if flashing lights are on, work light overrides it).

[​IMG]

Activated via factory switch. Simple install, wiring harness already installed from factory, just needed switch.

[​IMG]

Beacon wiring runs to this factory knockout. Just drilled a small hole in the plastic here and some silicone to seal it up.

[​IMG]

Also installed this switch to disable the backup alarm.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  2. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Nice job! When should I drop mine off to be done?

3. Strobesnmore

Strobesnmore Senior Member

Nice job! I'll post some pics of my kubota when it's done.

4. TGS Inc.

TGS Inc. Senior Member
    from Detroit

Nice!

Nice job!!

5. Greenmtboy

Greenmtboy Senior Member
    from Vermont

Is the switch to disable the backup alarm from Bobcat? Do you have a part # ?

Thanks

6. GLS

GLS Senior Member

I bought the switch online from OTRATTW.com

It's basically a simple on/off switch that fit's in the factory switch panel. I bought a lighted one, but you can get unlit for a simpler install.

For wiring you just need to splice the factory backup alarm feed and run 2 wires to the switch to activate/deactivate.

Here's a link to the switch: http://www.otrattw.net/search.php?mode=search&page=1

7. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

So the Feniex units are the bi colour ones I take it? They just alternate between white and amber on their own?

Is there a wire on that harness you use to do the back work light override?

8. Greenmtboy

Greenmtboy Senior Member
    from Vermont

Thank you.

9. GLS

GLS Senior Member

Yes, they are the split amber/white version.

I have the flash pattern set to alternate between amber and white, but there are also amber only and white only, in many different flash patterns and rates.

Getting the back work lights to override is very simple. There are three 12v input wires on the feniex cannons. #1 (green wire I think?) takes priority. So I have the #2 wire hooked up to my switch to run the flashing lights. If I hit the backup light switch in the cab, it puts power to the #1 wire so runs steady white.

Not sure if I made any sense of it, but it actually is simple once you understand how it works.

10. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

Makes perfect sense, that was exactly what I was hoping they would have. Thanks.

11. fordtruck661

fordtruck661 Senior Member
    from CT

Nice Job. Only thing I would change is sync the hideaways.

12. GLS

GLS Senior Member

They are synchronized. Do you mean alternating flash patterns?

13. fordtruck661

fordtruck661 Senior Member
    from CT

The video makes it look like they are not. Thumbs Up

14. GLS

GLS Senior Member

I guess they do look a little off in the video. I promise the blue wires are connected to each other!

It's either an illusion or Feniex doesn't know how to sync the lights. Oh well, close enough