1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

bobcat in dump truck

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by fargotruckman, Oct 12, 2010.

1. fargotruckman

fargotruckman Member

i just got a new bobcat and im wondering if i can use a dump truck f350 and transport it in the box use ramps to unload the i dont need a tag a long and i do long contracs and then i can use the same truck to haul away the snow as the bobcat

2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

What kinda bobcat are we talking here?

Unless its one of those walk behind ones or something along the size of a S70 I wouldn't suggest it. And I wouldn't want anything to do with driving it up and down ramps that high.

3. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

4. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Wow did you see how far that truck rolled while loading? If that's an auto, in park, I wonder how long it's going to last!

5. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

In one word: No

6. fargotruckman

fargotruckman Member

its a old 553 is that to big to haul like that

7. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

What is the gross weight of the truck? What does it weigh with all of your snow removal gear, a full tank of fuel and a driver?

The difference between the two weights is how much you can haul without being over weight. The 553 has an operating weight of 3,700 lbs. I think the truck will be overweight.

8. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

The ramps are one thing. The weight is another, and the real issue. I have a 3,000# compactor that I will occasionally put in the back of my F350. It's about the limit for that truck. Mine Is an SRW model so maybe a dually can handle a little more but not that much more. I'm not sure, but I would guess that a 553 is about 5,000#. In short, I wouldn't do it.

9. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

not only are you going to be overweight, but how are you going to tie it down??????

as someone said earlier

no

10. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

resounding NO!!! on a 1 ton truck, you are way over weight, and that machine is going to move around while being loaded/unloaded etc. the minimal truck you could use would be a 3 ton. As far as driving it up i see people doing it around here all the time, even saw a guy with a rig on his skidsteer where he uses a picker to lift it up onto his tandem.

11. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Ummmm, NO! Buy a trailer!

12. JDiepstra

What year F-350? A 2011 F350 has a maximum payload capacity of 4135 lbs. Now, you would definitely rip the tailgate off if you put ramps on it and tried to drive up it, but, the truck could handle the load in some cases.

13. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

it isn't so much the load IMO but what is going to happen to that frame when the Skidsteer starts to bounce around when loading and unloading?

14. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

And how are you going to haul snow with a F350? I'm sorry but that isn't going to work either. It would take you a week to move any good size pile.

15. fargotruckman

fargotruckman Member

its a f550 my mistake

16. JDiepstra

I would say if you can get it in there and secure it, go ahead. Good luck.

17. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

18. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

I put my Takeuchi in my Peterbilt and that is a little top heavy. I wouldn't put one in a F550. Especially a 8-10' bed.

19. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

:eek: This has disaster written all over it. Just buy a trailer, pm me I'll get a friend of mine to sell you one at cost so you dont kill yourself or some one else.

20. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

I too am afraid for his safety, the fact that the question was even asked makes me nervous. Even if its an F550 you still can't haul snow with any efficiency whatsoever.