1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

bobcat gelled up and need some advice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mc1, Dec 11, 2009.

1. mc1

mc1 Senior Member

i ve got an old 763 that i did not realized had pink fuel in it i did not put any 911 ito the tank till after it gelled up the machine is outside and not near any power this morning i installed a coolant block heater and ran a gas generator to power it at the end of the day the block was warm but the fuel is still gooey i tried to heat the fuel rail iwth a bernzomatic but no luck i have a building i can store it in but need to get it running to get it there. i assume the only thing i can do is to wait for a warmer day and try it. but i use it to load salt. last night i had to load up with a case excavator !!!!!! thanks matt
  2. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Change the filter.
  3. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

Borrow or rent a small generator and torpedo heater, aim the heat towards the engine (back a bit so you don't fry anything), and let it run for a while. You may want to trap the heat along the sides and with a tarp or two. Just a thought for you.

Herm Witte
  4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Can you build a quick tent with a tarp and put a salamander in there?
  5. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

I have used a 150,000 btu reddy heater plugged into a generator. Cover up the back end as best you can without starting something on fire. 30 min. i was good to get her back to the shop.
  6. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Change Filter or filters...Treat fuel with Polar Power Melt Down...Treat fuel first...Let sit for a while...Then change filters
  7. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

We used to unthaw my brother inlaws semi by throwing tarps over the truck and putting a couple of torpedo heaters next to the truck. Power Service in the tank too.
  8. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Change the filter and then get in the habit of fueling up at night to prevent condensation and most important is to run some fuel treat--anti gel with EVERY fill.
  9. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

i always keep a spare fuel filter for each of my machines onsite. always plug it if you can. and lastly, everytime you fuel up, you should be adding diesel additive to the fuel. it keeps it from gellin in the first place
  10. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Just an FYI, pink fuel, red fuel, green fuel, chartruse fuel, it doesn't matter, its all the same. One won't gel any faster than the other. If it was OLDer fuel on the other hand, it may have been summer blend vs winter blend, thus a bit more prone to gelling.

I agree with the above posts though as to the solution.
  11. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

You've gotten some good advice. Swap out the fuel filter and fill the canister with Power Service 911 and put the rest into your tank. Let it sit for an hour and then she should pop right off.
  12. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

once that bugger gells on you, it is a royal PITA, (but you know that already don't you), for about $100-$200 you can buy one of those portable garage deals so that way you can keep most of the heat on the machine, and always handy whenever you have to work in the elements.

as far as moving it when it is immobile, i well let you in on what a guy i know does when he gets stranded with his skidsteer, he has a hook, worked into the ROPS and gets a loader or something to lift it onto his trailer for moving it, it is a real problem with skidsteers, because you really can't just put it into neutral and push it onto a flat bed. i am going to install his system this winter so that if i end up stranded i can use my loader to lift my skidsteer onto my deck.
  13. Jello1

Jello1 Senior Member

Been there done that. Diesel 911 is mainly meant for when the fuel is gelled up. We've had some of our diesels stall on the road etc in really cold weather. I was tipped off by a few friends into diesel performance, and they worship this stuff called Howe's Lubricator. Just add one oz for every 5 gallons of diesel. And it'll prevent it. Around here it's like $25 for a 32 oz bottle. So far so good here in the 10 or so diesels we have here.
  14. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

get it to a heated garage, plug it in inside ad let it sit for a couple hours with a torpedo on the block should start
  15. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

torpedo heater and generator. Once you get it back put some 911 in it and fill it with new fuel and change filter. You might have to change filter before it starts as said
  16. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Been there, done that, same machine & engine more or less, many years ago. As stated before, change the filter first, as this is where the gelling is occuring. Then you can run some of the 911 in the filter & tank. You may need to pull the primer bulb off & warm it until it's "supple" enough to actually be effective. When primed with a new filter, you should have little problem starting it.

Most importantly, learn from this. ALWAYS replace the fuel filter in fall & run some kind of anti-gel all winter, regardless of what color/blend/brand of deisel you're running.

I think my hands are still cold from the night that 773 gelled up ON the road in 5 degree temps. :dizzy:
  17. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

treat your fuel every fuel and if you do everything right, you'll never have a problem. (knock on wood) we didn't have one piece of equipment gel up last year and the month of january brought us sub zero windchill for about 2 weeks straight.
  18. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

The filter change with Diesel 911 in it is a good bet.
    We used to have 3 Cat d5 dozers that would gel up all the time.

We took a excavator and parked it next to the dozer then ran a 6" pipe from the excavator exhaust to the engine bay on the dozer.

They would unfreeze fast, if the engine bay got dirty just spray with degreaser in the summer and power wash.

Its a good way to unfreeze something in the field if you already have another piece of equipment.
  19. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

''YOU GO OR HOWES PAYS THE TOW''. That's there catchy little slogan.I'm a firm believer in Howes--been using it in my iron and trucks for over 30 years.There's more Howes at truck stops than any other brand--a reason for that--real good stuff.If you buy it by the case you can save some serious money at the major truckstops.
  20. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

The reason you see more Howes than anything else is because their bottles treat more fuel than the other brands do for about the same price.

Howes is good stuff but it makes my truck smoke.