1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

bobcat for driveways?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by copandplower, Jan 27, 2003.

1. copandplower

copandplower Member

I am trying to build my business with a lot of drives in a tight area next to my house. So far so good. Many of the drives that I am targeting are small with litle turn arrounds or some other quirk that makes them time consuming with my reg cab long bed pu. Im curious, has anyone ever used a bobcat w/plow for these types of drives? There size and abilty to turn on a dime would make them perfect, I think? I am also considering a smaller truck or jeep. I would keep mine as my daily driver and back up.

2. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

After back to back major storms,i too am looking to get a little closer to home,i didn't realize the travel time to some of these drives during 2-3' + storms,anyways i was just thinking the same as you with the skidsteer but with maybe a blower instead for the same drives you mentioned,let's see what the boys have to say!

3. noclevername

noclevername Member

We've got a Case 1840 that we have a bucket, blade and hydraulic snowblower for. It does a good job on any kind of snow removal. The only problem is the transport speed between jobs, as long as the driveways are close together it should be okay. We use ours at a big site (where it is stored) and then trailer it, if need be, to sites where we can blow edges or piles or need to do removal. Make sure you have a good heater and windshield wiper. (I hooked up an additional hose off the heater into the footwell, the cabs are not really sealed that well)

4. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

The only things I would be concerned about is being carefull not to leave tire marks on the drive. Just watch your turning & you sould be fine.
    Also ya gotta watch out going down the road in that thing. The legal aspect & the fact you will be driving a tiny thing with a big pice of steal sticking out on the sides just asking for someone to clip it.

I think you would be much better off in a old Jeep. Plus you will be able to cover a much larger area.

If you allready have a bobcat then use that for the big storms, stacking & sidewalks.
    I've heard about block clubs, neighborhood watch & such all going in together for 1 guy with a bobcat or mower/plow setup doing entire blocks of sidewalks to avoid fines & safty concerns.
    Something you might want to think about.

5. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

I demoed a Cat 246 with the 2spd option... 12+ mph in between jobs. A Blizzard or a V plow and it would make an AWESOME drive machine. I think I could do my whole route with it, including parking lots.

6. Newnamlawn

Newnamlawn Junior Member

if you don't want to take a chance of leaving tire marks think about getting Something like a JD F1145 outfront mower with a snow blower. i have used one and they work good. 4 wheel drive. transport speed of about 12-14 mph. Just another thought

7. Dynamike

Dynamike Junior Member

I have a machine like CHTUCKER tried out. Its a Cat246,cab,cold weather package, two speed, and a blizzard plow. It has worked fantastic for me this winter. It works great in both the tight areas and wide open places.

Mike Morgan

8. dan deutekom

dan deutekom Member

We use a Case 1845C with a snow bucket. Cab is heated. It is awsome for drives, small parking lots and apartment and condo's. We have it on a route that is only about 5 blocks square so travel time isn't a concern. We team it up with our tractor on bigger lots where the skidsteer cleans between cars and tight areas and the tractor moves snow in large areas. You don't need to worry about leaving tire marks because the blade leaves just a fine film of snow to protect the pavement. Havn't left a mark in 8 years. I don't think I would like to loading it on a trailer and moving it from site to site espeacially during bad weather. Very time consuming and dangerous.

9. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

I have a Bobcat S250 with 2 spd, cab, heat and A/C. I have a 12' snow pusher, a 96" bucket, a 78" bucket, and just got my 7.5' plow on Saturday. I havn't gotten a chance to use any of my equipment yet because of the lack of snow this year, 2" since November :realmad:. I had a John Deere 250 that I used the 96" bucket and the snow pusher on. It was a great machine for drives and also every nice to have at big jobs for cleaning loading docks and also mounding the snow up more. I actually use the skidsteer or four wheelers for all of the drives that I do, and use the trucks at big lots and long private drives (.5-1.5 miles).

10. hillworks7669

hillworks7669 Junior Member

Skidsteers work great on driveways, have condos three blocks long used to be PIMA. The only drawback is you need trailer which is something else that needs ins. and plates.

Last storm trying to load skid loader it ended up teetering(?) off of fender of trailer luckily it did not go over( just about Sh** my pants), tore up fender on trailer but was ok with that seeing how I managed not to dump my brand new skid loader on its side.

11. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Thats why I just drove mine everywhere (less than a 3 mile radius)

With the 2spd options avaiable it is less than 15 mintues between my accounts.

12. hillworks7669

hillworks7669 Junior Member

I have basically two sets of accounts, first set maybe 4.5 mile radius, second set less than two mile radius, but the two sets are probably 12 miles apart(definitely to far to road).

13. Mike Fronczak

Mike Fronczak Member

I have two a 773 & a 873 both with blades 7 & 8 ft respectivly. Work decent manuverability & staking ability are key. Let me know if you need more info.

14. noclevername

noclevername Member

I've never had a problem trailering my skid steer in the winter, my ramps have built up sides (I don't think I could slip off of them if I tried) and every fall we paint the ramps ( ladder type so no snow accumulates) & deck and throw lots of sand into the wet paint. No dramatic episodes so far.............. :)

15. cutntrim

cutntrim PlowSite.com - Veteran

Skid steers are pricey so hopefully you'd get use out of one all year-round. Haven't seen your lots, but what about getting a back plow for your pickup? Certainly a lot cheaper, and may solve some of those "nooks and crannies" on your route.

Or, hire a shoveler/snowblower operator to ride with you. Have him do the tight areas you can't get to with the plow.

16. Firesource

Firesource Junior Member

Bobcat 763 / Driveways

We use a Bobcat 763 for 6' wide sidewalks in between apartment buildings in an 80 unit complex and for doing curbside sidewalks for the same property.

2 issues:
    1. Tire tracks which have gotten so bad at times they had to be power washed in the Spring
    2. Legal / insurance / general safety issues of driving it on the street to get from one parking lot / complex to the next (even though that only involves moving 75 yards).

We thought using this in lieu of snow blowers would cut down on time --- however the issues mentioned above leave us using the B-Cat more for stacking / moving piles than anything else.

Just my experience...

17. Mike Fronczak

Mike Fronczak Member

Firesource, sorry to hear about your situation, I can see how a skidsteer could leave track marks on concrete. Have you thought about an ATV with a plow, one local contractor I see trailering all over to do walks(large cotractor that all this employee does I think).
    As far as issues with public roads ours are at private developments. We did drive ours between two private developments a couple years ago so I looked into it. You can register & insure as a vechile for on road use(like other construction equip.), I didn't feel it was worth it, we only drove 1/2 mile down road, made sure beacon & all lights were on tough, my thinking was even if I get stopped & have to pay fine + towing, I would play stupid, & it would still be cheaper in long run(over the years).
    Good luck

Last edited: Jan 29, 2003
  18. dan deutekom

dan deutekom Member

Firesource
    I don't know why you would be marking the concrete unless you were using the skidsteer on dry pavement. I have found that with just a little snow they don't leave marks. Or could it possibly be a different rubber compound of the tires?

19. Firesource

Firesource Junior Member

B-Cat 763 / Tire marks

Mike -

The skid mark issue happens most often when travelling over sections of sidewalk that have already been cleared. You have to pick one end or the other to start on, and in lieu of spinning on the grass on either side of the walk to dump the load, spinning on the clear walk is where we run in to trouble.

Bill