1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

bobcat 743 lift

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by mtstclair, Jan 2, 2011.

1. mtstclair

mtstclair Member
    from indiana

I am looking at a 743 bobcat I know its rated a 1300lb but I am curious about real world experence will it lift a 2000lb skid of salt of a truck can you sneek it off or now thank in advance

2. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Highly doubt it.
    We had a 773 and it wouldnt lift a skid of sod.
    Maybe the sod weighed more but the machine was bigger too.

3. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I have lifted skids of Ice melt with my 773. I wouldnt want employees doing it though.Thumbs Up It picked it up but was very tippy, all I needed to do was get it clear of the truck, after that I dropped it to just off the ground to move it. If needed Ill do again, the 743 I believe is just alittle smaller, so worst case take a few bags off the farthest edge (leverage factor) & you should be fine. Still better to only move 5-10 bags by hand than 50.

4. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

pushing it! Ours is also very tippy with 1000kg on it.

5. dforbes

dforbes Senior Member

I would look at getting a bigger machine. You might be able to sneak a pallet off, but it is not safe. Also you are putting undo stress on your pumps and hydrolic system. This will cost you more money in the long run. I had a new holland lx485 which had about the same rating, and we used to bust pallets in half and load 1000lbs at a time. I upgraded to a S250 a couple of years ago and am very happy it. Not only can load and unload everthing I need to but, it has also improved production while landscaping.

6. ohiogreenworks

ohiogreenworks Senior Member

My dad's 743 would not lift a skid of sidewalk salt out of the truck. Exactly 2k lbs. The most I have lifted with it is around 1500 lbs

7. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Aren't mosat skids of salt 2450-2500#?

8. ohiogreenworks

ohiogreenworks Senior Member

Ya but the ones I was trying to lift were 40 bags 50 lbs each. :)

9. mtstclair

mtstclair Member
    from indiana

I only need to do it several times a year but thanks for the info. Was looking at them cause of the price but I guess Im going to have to spend a little more but I guess ill get a little more. I was looking for a machine under 6000lb so it would be a little easier to transport. My little tractor thinks it can move anything but im just out growing it in the loading deparment

10. ISLDSNOWREMOVAL

ISLDSNOWREMOVAL Junior Member

i have a 753 bobcat but i woldnt try it fully loaded take some bags off and you will b fine but dont make any sudden movment or you will have 500lbs of bulk salt lol...other than that that machine is fine for snow i run mine with a 84 in snow bucket and stack 10ft high just need to know how to run the machine

11. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

No it won't.

12. ISLDSNOWREMOVAL

no it wont what?

13. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

"Will it lift a 2000lb skid of salt off a truck?" The original question.

14. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

Not happening. You would be lucky to get 1700lbs up.

15. ISLDSNOWREMOVAL

yea your right bout that