1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bobcat 700 or 800 Series and 10.5' pusher

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SnoJob67, Nov 12, 2001.

1. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

If a Bobcat 700 or 800 series loader fell out of the sky with a 10' Pro-Tech Snowpusher attached, where would you use it? Let's assume it isn't damaged in the fall, too.:D

I have a sub with two Bobcat's available at a very reasonable rate. Since I have never used a setup such as this I have no idea what existing account(s) I have that would best utilize the equipment.

Would a five or six acre (KMart, Menard's, etc.) lot be ideal? Bigger? I am trying to figure out how to use the machine for 5-6 hours in a 1-2" snowfall. Would two adjacent 5-6 acre lots be ideal for this??? Or would that be pushing my time frame in a 2" snow? I already have the accounts signed, just looking at a different possible approach.

If anyone who has used one would care to email me some realistic production figures for a 1-2" snowfall with that machine, it would be greatly appreciated. I normally figure I can produce about an acre an hour with a pickup truck. Would two acres an hour with a 10.5' pusher be realistic or would that be on the high end?

Not to look a gifthorse in the mouth, but I am primarily interested in discussing pusher boxes for skid steers in this thread. I'm not trying to get a textbook answer taken from product literature, rather I am looking for realistic production figures observed under real world conditions.
  2. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

Hmm. Nobody can be of assistance?
  3. Taconic

Taconic PlowSite.com Veteran

skid steers

John Allen should be able to help you out.I have only used pushers on loaders and backhoes so i couldnt tell you from experience about the skid steer and a pusher.
  4. Winterworks

Winterworks PlowSite.com Veteran

If you can place snow at both ends of a lot the skid steer will do the job nearly twice as fast as they can spin around and clear in the other direction. No reversing. If it all has to go to one end then they are too slow on a large lot. The other thing I would be concerned with with is traction with 10' Protechs. That is a lot of snow in front especially in large lots. A quick call to protech may give you the answer. I can only speak in regards to my market. The max I would use up here is an 8 footer unless I had a monster skid steer (900 series). If you are able to use them productively they are unbeatable. I wish someone would develop one with a 20mph road speed so we did not have to trailer between sites!
  5. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

I ran a new holland lx865 w/ a 8' pro-tec last winter. I definitly don't think i'd go with a 10' box, the 865 is a pretty big skid steer and it would lose traction sometimes with an 8' and i'd either have to back up and get a running start at the pile or take pieces of it. The stuff we where plowing was public schools w/ roughly anywhere between 1/2 acre to 3 acre lots and we where able to pile snow on both ends of the lot most of the time. You can stack pretty high with the pusher boxes though. I'd say on a 1-2" strorm you probly cut your time is half with a pusher over a truck, on light snows thier great but on heavier snows it gets alot tougher because you get alot of snow in front of you and skid steers realy don't have very good traction. Also you need straight open run with them because when you turn you break traction and then your beat. Skid steers realy arn't the greatest for snow, they work but they arn't the best, a backhoe would be much better.
  6. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

What you need is the SkidSteer with 2 speed. (ie NewHolland or Bobcat 873 2-speed)

7mph & 5000 lbs doesn't equal enough "umpff"
  7. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

Yeah, that is what I was afraid of. It sounds as if I don't want to mess with anything less than a 14 footer for my applications and expectations.
  8. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

I have a 75XT Case skidsteer with a 8'-0" plow and 1 yard snow bucket. Does anyone have any additional comments on using skid steers with a snow pusher attachement. I don't want to spend $4000.00: then be dissaponted with the results.

Here's my current challange!

Plow large Menards site with one rear lot and two front lots seaparated by main entraceway. The entrance way has curbs and islands, with only one access point from one lot to other.

This site is new, I plowed the old location with only trucks. The management team requested that all snow from the lot closest to the building be brought to the other lot for disposal. Same for the rear lot.

Will the skid steer be able to do all that pushing from one lot to another? Would it be to much work for a larger loader to tackel.
    Lots are 300 X 300 approx. is this to much pushing for any loader?

This means I will have to push approx. 400+ feet to get the snow into the adjacent lot.

Or should i load it out with truck?
  9. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

From what I have read, the general consensus is that for larger lots, the skidsteer with pusher is not the ideal tool. My guess is that it will be too time consuming to move that snow from lot A to lot B and still remain productive elsewhere in the lot with a skidsteer and pusher.

I am going to be using backhoes with pushers for the first time this year. The nice thing is that the 4x4 backhoe can handle the 10' loader model. That is a rig that can travel from site to site legally, if necessary.

Also, if you notice, the 14 foot backhoe pusher (another option for the 4x4 backhoe) has a similar capacity to the 10' loader model, with the 10' loader model having the distinct advantage of being legal on the road.