1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

bobcat 463

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by HLS Wholesale, Oct 9, 2006.

1. HLS Wholesale

HLS Wholesale Senior Member

I have a rotary brush for a bobcat 463, but it only does a couple inches or so and then starts having trouble. (I'm talking sidewalks here). I am considering going with a plow or a snowblower for deeper snow. Anyone use both of these and which is better? I'm concerned that the 463 might now have enough power to push the heavier snow...am I right to be concerned? Or will the snowblower have the same issues?

Thanks in advance...

2. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

What year is the 463, the engine horse power was pushed up from 15 to 22 in late 2002. If it's the 22hp I see no problem with a blade, I've never lacked power in mine (using a bucket). just don't bite off more then you can chew and remember it's a small machine, takes more time. A snowblower I don't see why it would have any trouble since the snow is removed from it's path not pushed down it.

3. HLS Wholesale

Unfortunately, it's a 2001. Not enough power for a plow?

4. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

I would be intrested in taking that broom off your hands. I am thinking about getting a 463 this winter for side walks.

5. HLS Wholesale

you want the 463 and the broom? You're not exactly close to me. I'm in Chicago suburbs.

6. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

ROAD TRIP!!!!!!!!!!! PM me a price for the brush

7. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

Had the 443 with the 15 hp. You would go along the sidewalk until the bucket was full and then twist slightly sideways to dump. Never used a blade on one. After the 443 died in 2003, got the 463 with 22.5 hp.The 50% power increase is very noticable .It would push harder in wet snow. 2004 got the blower. Square footage per hour just about tripled. Fuel consumption doubled. I don't think 15 hp has enough to run the blower any better than the broom. If you are going to stay with the 2001 463 stay with the broom, if you are going to trade up to 22.5 hp , it will take the blower.

8. Krimick77

Krimick77 Member

heather lawn spray re 462

heather lawn spray,

I'm looking at buying a 463 with blower and wanted to bounce a couple of questions off of you since you have used it.

- how is the view for the operator, does the cab ice up much and is there much of a blind spot backing up?

- how is it for powering through deep snow? I'm in Central Ontario, can it handle 10+ inches of snow, does it have the power to cut through and move old snow piles that are iced up

-do the stock work lights provide enough visibility for night time work

-how well does it work with other attachments in the summer season

I'd be happy to have the input of someone who's actually used this machine. I"m going with a new 463 with the 36" blower (actually 39 real measurement). I want it for about 8 Km of walks that have some pretty skinny spots

Thanks

9. heather lawn spray

We are using the 463 coupled to the 48" SB150

View

You must keep the defogger going , you must keep the wiper going. If either of them give up you will be blind shortly. On a bad blow you will have to get out and clear the slush off.

Back view

It is extremely limited. BUT being that the 463 is so tiny the blind spot is also small in dimensions. Don't forget the slow-moving-vehicle sign

Snow

The question isn't how much snow it will power through, its how long will it take. We've had stuff the trucks can not longer push. the 463 is called up to move the pile from there.

We will use it to cut through big municipal plow embankments at ends of drive ways. We have a 400 metre lane on the list that fills in to half a metre. That takes 1 to 2 hours. The truck would get a quarter of the way up and give up for lack of place to move the snow off to. The blower fires it 8 meters off to the side.

When the piles get too large after a few snow falls for the parking lot the 463 comes in to blast it up onto the grass.

Lights

They are quite adequate 2 forward 1 back

Attachments

Never used any thing but the 60" sweeper. It worked well

It takes getting used to . . . I've had 12 years 0n 400 series Bobcats. Our primary operator the last 2 years has been a off-season scraper and rock truck operator. Diesel flows in his blood veins. It takes 10 to 20 hours just to get the hang of the system so don't get discouraged

This little 'kitty cat' will need support in the field, either a support truck (ours travels with our plow truck, its 'mother ship') or strapped onto the 463. Fuel range blowing is about 5 hours, auger will ingest stuff. The auger and impeller are hydraulic driven so if they jam the relief valve pops. You just have to clear the debris to get going again. You will need a 25 litre diesel can for 10 hour range, an old hockey stick and a shovel. If you are using the 36" you should be able to kick snow to the next county

10. Krimick77

Krimick77 Member

Thanks for the feed back, it's helpful to talk to someone who has run this machine as opposed to the dealer with his " yeah this'll blow through anything" comment.

I've used bobcat mini-excavators before and I assume the system is similar. One other question I had is does the blower have a float setting, like a truck plow does or do you just have to keep your foot on the pedal to keep the arms/blower on the ground?

Thanks again

11. heather lawn spray

Its the detente on the Bobcat. You kick the 'ARM' pedal with your toe causing it to latch in the down position, The guy at Hertz-Matthews will show you how it works

Last edited: Oct 18, 2006