1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bob Evans PIA

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jkiser96, Mar 17, 2008.

1. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

I was contacted by the person that plows a Bob Evans in town that they wanted salted if it was slick so I salted a total of 6 times & turned a bill in, well the manager about died since the bill was $420 for 6 times,which I thought was real cheap. After this episode they went to will call which was fine since I could see this was going nowhere. I finally get a check toay, 30 days past due, for $180 and they said the manager changed my bill because they only approved 3 times. I know it is a little amount of money but it is the principal of the thing. I am debating wether to pursue it further or just drop it and cut my loss. Any suggestion? I know I am the little guy going against corporate money.:realmad:
  2. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

Well it doesn't sound like you had a contract. That being said I'd go over this guys head to corporate.

I'd also go back to the cat that plows the place and say wtf. Pay me.

Your arrangement is with him. Not Bob Evans presumably.
  3. davink

davink Member

I would perrsue it, and if they appeoved three times, then they should have paid you $210, half of the $420 bill for 6 times. So, not only do they not pay their bills, but they can not do simple math? I would fight it. Start with the guy that you were subbing for... Did you have a written contract?
  4. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

That is really cheap. I can't even buy a yard of bulk for that, on a good day. Let alone go spread it... or do it with bags.

And I came to the same conclusion, that their math skills don't add up. Was it really necessary to do it 6 times?

I'd go after the guy who contacted you, and then be careful in the future to get everything in WRITING!
  5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Agreed. You should bill the contractor for your work.Let then bill Bob Evans and fight it.I surprised that the contractor had you bill directly ,usually they hire someone at a lower rate and bill the company a higher rate to make some money off it.
  6. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

ya tell them to pay up. and guess what when u go in there and get food do u tell them u only wanted half the burger and fries u got
  7. MB3

MB3 Senior Member

I learned my lesson a few times, and now do NOTHING unless it is in writing. PERIOD. Might sound tough, but I am tired of getting burned by people that do not want to spend money, and if someone would have slipped, and sued, you would be in the court room, but since they did not, they don't feel they need to pay.
  8. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

I spoke with a manager today & they said that I was only approved to salt 3 times so my reply was that when I come in & order a stack of pancakes but only want one then I can change my bill. The manager got quiet & then did the usual stutter while saying that was not right. I then ask him to tell me the difference in that & what they did to me but he couldn't. I have never charged a late fee to any customer but I believe I about to do my first. I am usually very anal about getting contracts but when I was contacted to do this I was very tired & in the middle of a push so you know how that goes. The bad part is that several people, neutral parties, said that was the best it had looked for years, then after I was put on will call these people wondered why the lot was back looking shi^$y again so I felt abliged to let them know that this place was run by tightwads.
  9. believe

If you believe that you were right to salt 6 times to maintain a safe lot and that was
    within the agreement you were hired to do,.. bill it every month with late fees and interest.
    After 6 months file in small claims.
    Then go find another client.

I have noticed that every client that I lost for cost/value reasons, has gone poorly for
    the owners. Some guys stopped plowing and the owners are driving on the hard pack.

Know when to fold 'em...
    Avoid plowing for friends and family

10. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

Go there one week from now and hopefully there will be a little patch of ice that was not salted.
    Slip & fall on it! Make sure you sue for lost time, wages, pain & suffering! You will get far more than $460!!! Just kidding but I plowed for a Burger King that was just like that. They would have ice pack all over but corporate would never approve salting. They where not my client for long. Sooooo long farewell!