1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

blue rock salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by big450es, Dec 14, 2010.

1. big450es

big450es Junior Member
    from PA

Noob question: What is the blue spray they use on rock salt? What temperature dose that work down to then? Thanks

2. cplmac

cplmac Senior Member
    from Dundee

The blue is just a color additive to help you see your coverage more clearly, it's also nice for the customers to be able to see. Morton's uses the blue in it's salt/calcium chloride blend which is good down to about 0 with wind.

3. WMHLC

WMHLC Senior Member

Its anti caking agent call morton blue. Just plain rock salt.

4. Blue "salt"

I think it's more than just coloring as it melts ice pretty well in single digits. Some of it says on the bag that it's a mag. or cal. coating. I give about $11.75/50 lbs. for it retail. I'm small time and can't store much, so I don't buy it by the pallet.

5. cplmac

cplmac Senior Member
    from Dundee

It has calcium chloride flake in it, I've spread about 2500 pounds of it so far this season. The blue is just die for the salt, the flake CC is white.

6. All Season Lawn

All Season Lawn Member

Dead on, anti caking and coloring so you can see your spread easier. payup

7. SF Supply

SF Supply Junior Member

On Morton's bulk product, it is only a color additive. YPS is a clear anti caking agent. Cargill, NASC, etc all have YPS but do not add the blue color. Morton chooses to add the nice blue color. In past life, the company I worked with stockpiled Morton Salt at our dock. As the salt was stockpiled, you could clearly see some not blue, and some with heavier concentration of the color additive.

8. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Sure would be nice if it had a nice NEON ORANGE glow so these tired, strained eyes could see it better at night?

9. pvtben121

pvtben121 Senior Member

+1 salt is small enough

10. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

The dye is unique to Morton (bulk wise), and it is called Prussian Blue. Nothing more than a dye.

If you have a hard time seeing your salt, try mixing the salt with urine and using a powerful black light.

:mechanic:

11. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

That is certainly a unique solution? Have you tried this out? How many beers per ton does it take? :D

12. Westhardt Corp.

I pride myself on developing innovative solutions. Really, it's what sets us apart...

:cool:

13. campkd6

campkd6 Senior Member

Worst part is I can see you doing this and offering it as one of your many services.

14. Westhardt Corp.

We aim to please...