1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blue, Amber or Red Rotating Magnetic Light

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Fantastic, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Fantastic

Fantastic Senior Member

Not sure if any one has used this before but I thought I'd post a link to a couple lights I found on Amazon.com

I just purchased the blue one and will have it here sometime next week. I'll give a review on the light as per brightness and strength of magnet base, I am just entering into the plowing world and am currently getting a plow on my truck. I got this light as I do not plow for a living and am not really looking to invest a bunch of money to plow my driveway and my families driveways... Having said that I also don't want to shy away from quality lights as they are important for many reasons (safety in low visibility, etc)

From what the reviews said this is a 20w bulb which I am going to look at the option of increasing the wattage or a change to a high output LED. We will see how it goes. What do you guys think??

Blue Light

Amber Light

2. fordtruck661

fordtruck661 Senior Member
    from CT

I use to have one of these lights and it worked good but I just did not like the one rotating light so I upgraded to led hideaways. I would have suggested getting a strobe roof light instead but Thats just me some love the "trouble bubbles"
  3. daman

daman Member

Do not get that light its a POS,many moons ago i had the same one starting out its junk,not very bright for one for two the drive mechanism sucks its just a little motor shaft running on rubber disc.

Get firebeam from Galls.
  4. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

You need to check your local laws. Red and blue are for fire, police, and ems in just about every case. Amber is the only color you can legally run. You need a 55 watt bulbs, 20 watt will be a waste.
  5. nixray

nixray Senior Member

I really hate these, I think they look cheap. Wait they are cheap!!!
  6. daman

daman Member

7. Fantastic

Fantastic Senior Member

Here in Ontario(Canada) blue is designated for snow removal. Red is the big no no here.

As for the brightness I plan on increasing the bulb wattage or put in an LED. That's of course if I can?? If its a POS I'm not worried too much about it as I'll have to buy a better one at the end of the day.
  8. daman

daman Member

The thing of it is i know when I'm out plowing i want to be seen(safety) and in the day time its hard to "see" a cheap light like that,i run a FederalSignal twin rotor/reflector 80,000CP 130FPM and you can see me for miles in the day time,just how i want it.

You can try using a Halogen bulb(55w) should be brighter yes. Buy a quality light and it'll last for many years.
  9. JK-Plow

JK-Plow Senior Member

It doesn't matter if you can find an LED bulb to put in it. The lights junk.
  10. daman

daman Member

11. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

I think you're going to find out pretty quickly that with lighting products, you generally get exactly what you pay for. And trying to retrofit something cheap to make it work as good as a real quality product will just be a waste of money. Ask any of us here how we learned that.

Oh, and anybody that says they bought something cheap off of E-bay and it's truly awesome generally hasn't parked their rig next to somebody with a real warning light or used it for more than one storm. Just my 2 cents.
  12. Mems

Mems Senior Member
    from Maine

It's $20. Its already on the way. Stick it up there and run it. Worse case scenario, you've made a simple and cheap $20 mistake and you move on. I wouldnt bother putting a LED or different bulb in it. Your wasting your money as the life expectancy of that light will decrease greatly with higher wattage running in it that it wasnt designed for.

Lets get a budget from you from here on out and see if we might be able to help you purchase some better new or used gear that would better suit your needs. If your budget is $20 for lights, dont bother putting any on and run with either your hazards on or if you have amber in your taillights, as some chevy's have then see if you can find a tail light flasher that you can hook up to your turn signals.
  13. BigBoyPlowin

BigBoyPlowin Senior Member

Lol you wont even be able to see it during the day! Get a low pro SHO-ME light bar like i have... its about 200 bucks but is by far 20x better than the WO-HO LIGHT ahahah
  14. Fantastic

Fantastic Senior Member

$200 bucks?!?! Do you think I plow for a living?? LOL It's all good. POS light will work for a bit as I'll be a night plower. I can see if I get calls from this guy and that guy. If it turns into money making then I'll grab up a decent light in the $50-$100 range as I think that's all I'd need. If I end up rolling in the snow, wait I mean dough lol I'll be saving for a better plow and a new light!!

Love the feedback everyone!!! Keep it coming as that's what a forum is for.
  15. BigBoyPlowin

HAhahaha Kinda skimmed your original post my bad!
    Im driving a 100k truck so a 200 dollar lightbar is just what i need! lol
  16. Fantastic

Fantastic Senior Member

Got the light yesterday and thought I'd try it out... I put it on my car as I happened to be leaving my place when I thought I'd try it out.

I don't thinks its too horrible. I walked to the end of my driveway and it was still pretty visible. I had lights on in the background to make the area lit up to get a good idea of how bright or dim the light would actually be... I didn't think a totally dark room made sense as I wouldn't be plowing indoors :laughing:

Here is a quick video.... It is loud as you can hear it in the video but that will let me know its on and working from inside my truck.

17. BigBoyPlowin

Oh..... I remember that sound!

Had a worker who had been plowing for 30 plus hours pull that light off the roof and chuck it into a snowbank... Thats when we made the switch to LED's!
  18. Fantastic

Fantastic Senior Member

I hope to keep my sanity!! Maybe I'll mount it to the hood? Lol