1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blown hydro line

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by fordf350M, Feb 5, 2016.

1. fordf350M

fordf350M Junior Member

Second year of plowing. 1 year old 8 1/2' Pro-plus.
    Was out today and got hung up on the corner of a driveway and my passenger side hydraulic line split competely in half. How comman is this or could the line have been faulty ? I have hit things with the same force and never blew a line

2. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I'd guess faulty hose. Maybe it got damaged somehow and finally blew. May never happen again once you replace it.

I have an MVP about 8 years old that never blew a line. Just replaced them all last fsll tho because the outside rubber was cracking.
  3. UltraLwn&Lndscp

UltraLwn&Lndscp Senior Member

All of the other things you hit weakened the hose. It finally let loose. To prevent this issue do not hit things. I am sorry to be blunt but that is the easiest answer.
  4. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

What things are you hitting? And at what speed?
  5. UltraLwn&Lndscp

UltraLwn&Lndscp Senior Member

With all due respect, step back and think about the hypothetical statement I am about to make.

I just bought a brand new corvette. I regularly do burn outs, even smoking the tires through 2nd and 3rd gear. The transmission went. Was the transmission defective from the factory? :)
  6. fordf350M

fordf350M Junior Member

No you guys are right but I'm by no means abusing this plow. Sometimes I get hung up on the end of driveway at say 3 miles an hour. I'm not saying parking lot plowing hitting storm drains at 40mph
    This is my own truck, my own investment. I def don't abuse the plow
  7. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

Then I would say it's an anomaly. Replace it with a good hose and you ought to be fine for years.
  8. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Just curious - when you say that you got hung up on the driveway, was the plow tripping, or was the hose itself getting snagged on something?
  9. fordf350M

fordf350M Junior Member

No the plow was tripping. Where the driveway comes to the end of the road. Wasn't even. The plow got hung up on a peice of blacktop.
    Plow tripped and hose blew. I just replaced the fluid too
  10. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Yeah - sounds like just a fluke to me. Like blowing a tire; nothing you can do but fix it and move on.
  11. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

If the hose was defective, it would have failed the first or second storm. Hoses blow. That's why you always have spare parts.
  12. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I have to interject here guys... When I bought my Corvette I drove it like I stole it, just as the car was intended. I did a few burn outs too and would have taken it for warranty for sure if it blew a lifter after only 20,000 Lets be realistic, the pro-plow is a professional grade unit designed for repeated collisions with manholes, curbs and frozen snowbanks. If the hose blew after two years there are only a few explanations:
    1 It's an alien conspiracy
    2 The hose had a flaw and since Western gives 2 seasons of warranty take it in and get a new one for free.
    3 The operator is far more aggressive and abusive than he is willing to admit and he needs to suck it up
    4 The plow's relief valves are not properly set to release pressure when getting hung up.

There is a thing called the cross over relief valve.... If you are suspicious that the hose was not traumatized and you are in deed a non-abusive operator then check the relief valve setting. As I recall they are just a screw, you turn it in until it hits bottom and then turn it out 1 1/4 turns. Sometimes the guys at the factory are having a bad day and loose count when they set them. If they are too loose the blade will angle with very little force and too tight it will cause the next weakest link to fail, that being the hose.....

Being a two year old plow I surmise it is a three plug with 3 port isolation module. This link is for the flowstat with relay headlight controls. Just ignore the electrical part, the mechanical / hydraulic information is all applicable.
    Page 10 shows the location and page 55 gives instructions on how to adjust them.
  13. fordf350M

fordf350M Junior Member

Thank you. I will check

Spoke with Western and the hoses are only covered for a year I'm gonna talk to my dealer on Monday and see if they can submit it a anyway
  14. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i bought my plow in 2009 im gonna break a new guy in next winter my dealer told me its about that time so i will keep the hoses as backup i just had my crossover relief valve put in
  15. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

You were plowing, hit something and blew a line. Replace it and move on. This happens, get used to it
  16. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

I second that.
  17. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

It could have been a weak hose.
    But most likely somthing hit it .
    Like snow and ice coming over the top of the blade
    Or when back damaging, or nicking it when your cleaning it off with a shovel.
    It may not blow right then, but over time....

I carry 2 hyd hoses and a gal of fluid.

I highely dought it was caused by excisive hyd pressures in the syestem.
    Even if you had crashed into a snow bank with it.
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  18. FredG

FredG PlowSite.com Addict

X3 I agree
  19. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Replacing hoses is like replacing cutting edges. It just happens !
    I think we've replaced 4-5 already this season
  20. FredG

FredG PlowSite.com Addict

Yes and these replacement parts don't have to be from abuse of equipment. Just another day in the jungle. replace it and move on, It will happen again.