1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

blown fuse - help

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by hot_raud, Dec 6, 2003.

1. hot_raud

hot_raud Member

The power wire for the pump controls has a fuse. When I connect the appropriate wire to the solenoid, the fuse blows. Am I connecting up wrong? (why do I connect a wire to the solenoid, anyway?)

2. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

The solenoid acts like a large switch. The small white wire is the trigger for the switch. The cab switch uses much smaller wire, therefore limiting the amperage. All the solenoid really does is keep you from having to run that very large wire into your truck and back out to the pump. The solenoid creates a short cut for the high amperage needed to run the pump.

The proper wiring should be: Large red wire from the pump to one side of the solenoid. Second large wire from solenoid to battery (for some reason, this is supplied by the manufacturer as a black wire, don't know why.)

Solenoid must be mounted to sheet metal or can be mounted to plastic as long as a ground is affixed to the base.

Wire in cab with fuse goes to switched power supply.

Thats it. Let me know.
  3. hot_raud

hot_raud Member

Highpoint - thanks for the help.

I don't have the larger wire. All I have is the white wire which comes from the controls switch. So, I'll just get some wire and connect as you said. Two questions though - how large should I go, what gauge wire? (this is for going from the solenoid to the batter and from the solenoid to the pump.

And second question - it looks like there are many places on the solenoid to connect the three wires (1 to the pump, 2 to the + battery node, and 3 to the controls switch.) Does it matter where on the solenoid I connect these?

PROPJCKEY Senior Member

sounds to me like you may have to small of wire and it burned through somewhere and is shorting out. test your amperage draw and size wire accordingly.