1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blown fuse--any ideas?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Sweetpete, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

Hey Guys: Just curious...I have a 2004 F250 w/ about 10k miles. Anyways, every time I turn on my "plow lights", a few moments later I end up blowing a
    15 amp fuse under my dashboard. Then, when I tried to replace it, it blew right away...I went through 2 fuses just like that.

Any thoughts as to why this is happening? I'm probably going to have to take it in to my installer, but I thought I'd try you guys first.

Also, if my installer is going to charge me, I figured I'd take it to the dealer, since I'm well below my warranty requirements. Have any of you guys run into a problem with a dealer not doing work on your truck due to a snowplow being installed. I DO have the snowplow prep package.

Thanks in advance..:dizzy:
  2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

What fuse are you blowing?

This is going to be an installer issue and the dealer will more than likely send the truck back to the installer to solve the problem. Most dealers dont have a clue when it comes to snow equipment and like to blame everything on that equipment.
  3. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

I'm sorry, I should have mentioned...it's the fuse that runs my dashboard lights and parking lights. So, when it blows, I can't see my instrument panel and my parking lights go out.

However, my headlights work fine as well as my dome light. So, go figure. Thanks for the reply, Crash.
  4. madmax4688

madmax4688 Junior Member

Sounds like you have a dead short. Not that you didnt figure that out already. If you can get someone to help and before you blow the fuse have someone in front of and behind the truck when you turn the lights on and the light or lights that dont work indicate the problem area. 10 years as a mobile electrician to back that idea.
  5. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

Hey....thanks for the replies. The thing is, as soon as I turn on my parking lights, the fuse blows. So, it's kinda tough to find where the dead short is.

However, this ONLY happened when I started to use my Plowlights. So, I truly think the problem must lie in there, somewhere. Thanks for the heads-up.

I really appreciate the help. You guys are awesome. If you ever need any tips on drywall finishing, feel free to ask!! :salute:
  6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Look for bare wires touching metal,look at places where the wires pass through the fire wall and front end. Might even take out the turn signal/parking light bulbs and see if it still blows fuses. A bare wire touching metal will pop the fuse in milliseconds. I would think that the installer should stand behind his work for you.
  7. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

Hey guys....just to let you know....I got the problem fixed. It was a bad module on the LEFT side of the truck that switches from headlights to plowlights.

Shoot, it even melted some of the wiring that was attached to it. So, $87 dollars later, I'm back in business. Hopefully, it'll snow this weekend and I'll be able to make some of that money back. We'll see...

But seriously, for you guys who took some time to reply to my question....Thanks a million. You guys are awesome. I appreciate the help and consideration. I hope someday to repay the favor!! :salute:

Be careful out there...