1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blown engine on "new" snowblower

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by D Mack, Feb 16, 2010.

1. D Mack

D Mack Member
    from L.I N.Y

I was at my "real job" today and decided to start up the snowblower we never use. We have two snowblowers and a walk behing Gravely plow used to clear a small parking lot and sidewalks. The older machine that we usually use is a Husqvarna. About three years ago they sent us a Simplicity 1332. This machine has under 10 hours on it, it has never really been used. It has all the bells and whistles, heated handles, electric chute, headlight, and electric start. The thing is a monster. I plugged it in and hit the starter three times, motor does not start. On the forth time I hear a loud clank and motor stops turning over. I assumed the starter got jammed. I tapped on it a few times to try to get it to recoil back. Then I tried to pull the handle to start it and it wouldn't budge. Still thinking that the starter was jammed I knelt down to see what I would need to take it off and notice a 2" hole in the side of the crankcase. I was shocked to see that It's a real shame on such a new machine. I work for the City Of New York and made a couple of calls to find out about getting it repaired. I was told that the city does not have a contract with anyone to fix snowblowers. They said to submit for a new one. I'm thinking that they may say throw it away, which would be a real shame.

2. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

i got one from a customer, he bought it 2 years ago and used it maybe 5 times total. he ended up with some health problems so he just has me plow now. the thing looks brand new. we used it a couple of times and the motor blew, i couldnt believe it. cost as much for a new engine as to just replace the snowblower.

3. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

4. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio