1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

blowing out a muffler?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by cward05, Dec 27, 2005.

1. cward05

cward05 Senior Member
    from CT

hi everyone, my friend was driving my 83 chevy k10 on the highway the other day, and he kinda pushed the baby hard...it hit 80 mph
    (a new record lol), but when driving home, i noticed that it was louder than usual...having an exhaust leak before this (but now fixed) between the headers and the pipes, i figured it happened again, but instead, the muffler had a huge hold in the bottom of it (1 out of 2 mufflers). my question is, this was never there before, in fact, the mufflers seemed in pretty decent shape to me...could he have blown out the muffler? is this even possible? or was it just rust that finally came loose? thanks.
  2. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Yes it could have blown it out from the heavy acceleration if it was at all rusting. Particularly if there were a backfire out the exhaust from running rich or timing being off a bit. Sounds like it rusted and was about to go anyway from the fact that it needed the other repair.
  3. bowtie726

bowtie726 Junior Member

My 74 K10 also blew out one of it's mufflers...blew the outlet pipe right out the back...only on the right side though.