1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blowing fuses

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Flcnj, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Flcnj

Flcnj Junior Member

I have a 1997 dodge with a unimount plow. It is a 9 pin system. This last storm I started blowing fuses on the main power wire going into my fuse box. I found a broken ground wire for the truck repaired it and it worked fine for about 30 min. Then it started blowing fuses again. I think I have a ground problem but I am not sure. I would rather rebuild the motor than deal with a wiring issue. Any help would be appreciated thank you mike.

2. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

Check were your wires go through the firewall also check for wires under the dash one of them may be rubbing and blowing a fuse not likely a ground check the entire harness as well

3. Flcnj

Flcnj Junior Member

I checked the entire harness for chaffing but did not see anything. I also checked to see if mice had chewed it up. Thank for your reply

4. rjigto4oje

Witch fuse under the hood or the 1 in the dash

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Yea, which fuse?

6. Flcnj

Flcnj Junior Member

The in line fuse that goes from fuse box to controller

7. rjigto4oje

have you tried another controller. I have had controlers act weird after an hour b4

8. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

9. rjigto4oje

Maybe this will help courtesy of dieselss

Screenshot_2015-01-29-18-43-47.jpg

10. Flcnj

Flcnj Junior Member

I have tried a different controller and still blew the fuse. I hooked up to a different unimount set up and still same problem. I was told it might be the solenoid or the wires coming off the battery. I appreciate all the replies.

11. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Time to pull the cover off the valves on the plow. Your ignition fuse feeds directly to the controller on your system. From there it directs power to two places, the valves (X3) and the coil of the motor relay (solenoid). Since the problem is not instant it is probably a pinched or exposed wire that is grounding out intermittently. Examine the 9 pin harness from the grill plug to the valve cover, it might be worn bare there on the plow. Pull off the valve cover and look at the three wires feeding the black valve coils. Sometimes wires get pinched under the valve cover. The coils have a common ground black / orange wire but that won't be the problem.

You could take an ohm meter and test all three coils for one that has atypically low resistance. They should all be about the same, if one is low it would draw more current and possibly blow the fuse, however.... I have never seen a shorted coil on a Western in my 10 years as a plow tech.

You could also test the coil on the motor relay. Use the ohm meter to test across the two small lugs but disconnect the wires first. I would expect to see at least 6 ohms or resistance which would allow about two amps current to flow. Higher resistance would be OK but lower is not good. The valve coils I would expect to have higher resistance, maybe 10 ohms or more to get one amp or less.

My money is on a pinched wire under the valve cover....

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  12. Flcnj

Flcnj Junior Member

Thank you mishnick for you reply I will be working on it today I will let you know what I find.