1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blowing Fuse's , why ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Filer, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Filer

Filer Member
    from Canada

I have a light bar like the one posted below but it is blue. My problem is it keeps blowing my fuse for the cig. lighter.

Any Idea's Please.

7d_1.jpg

2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

What amp fuse are you using? A friend of mine had the same thing happen so you used a slightly bigger fuse and hasn't had anymore problems.:waving:

3. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

ever think about going to a 20amp fuse its bigger should take the load easily

4. Filer

Filer Member
    from Canada

it has a 20amp fuse already ( thats the one that keeps blowing ). Maybe I should go to a 25 or 30 amp fuse ??

Is it ok to put bigger fuse's in there ? As I have no problem putting a bigger fuse in the socket.

5. LI landscaping

LI landscaping Junior Member
    from NY

Check that the wiring inside the cig plug is not loose and grounding out

6. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Those lights don't draw much amps. There is something wrong with the cig.lighter socket or the plug, grounding out.

7. Nfd9606

Nfd9606 Junior Member

Something wrong there. Those lights only draw 9 to 10 amps. check the wiring to see if there is any loose connections or wires rubbing.

Brian

8. bultemaj

bultemaj Junior Member

if u put a bigger fuse in you could melt wires. what i would do is get rid of the plug and hook it up to a constant power source and put a switch and a inline fuse holder on it. thats how i did the one on my truck and i haven't had any problems with it.

9. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Have you had the light and it worked OK before or you just get it?
    Could be putting it in and out all the time has made the socket loose or worn out. Might even need to replace it. They are fairly east to replace and parts stores have the whole setup. Check ALL the wiring on both light and socket. The wire that plugs onto the middle of it on the back is positive, the "barrel" is grounded. A full size 8 beam rotator light bar might pull 20 amps but the little one no way.

10. The Boss

If your already using 20 amp fuse, I would not go any bigger than that!:nono: I would replace the cig. lighter. :nod:

11. Filer

Filer Member
    from Canada

I don't think I am going to put in a bigger fuse. I think I found my problem ............. I ran the wire threw my side window (quad cab)and closed it ............ I think it has pinched the wire causeing a short.

I think Im going to do what bultemaj suggested.

Where the hell is everyone else running their wire threw to get it to the cig. lighter plug ??????

12. The Boss

I've got a super cab so I just run mine from the light into the cab between one of the rear doors and the cab. I open and close the door numerous times every day and it never has gotten pinched.:D