1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

blowing fuse?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by sailinstud420, Oct 29, 2007.

1. sailinstud420

sailinstud420 Junior Member

Any thoughts on why I keep blowing the 10 amp blade fuse between the red wire that connects to the battery and the main harness under the hood?

I hooked the plow up, got the switch to raise the plow till the hooks grabbed the mount and everything seemed okay. Then the controller would not move the plow, and about 2 minutes later I blew that fuse...

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Two things come to mind that are the most common, either the harness is rubbed through somewhere and it's shorting out, or the plow plug connectors at the bumper need cleaned and greased (especially the power and ground pins) or the pins inside are damaged. Follow the harness with your hand and check it very closely for any worn spots..especially where it goes through or around any sheet metal. You can clean the connector plugs with a bristle brush and some electrical cleaner and then look at the pins very closely for damage/corrosion.

3. sailinstud420

I got it fig'ed out. I mounted the solenoid right near the hood lift spring on the driver's side ('04 Duramax) and one of my positive cables was just barely touching the spring as the hood moved up and down.Glad it was an easy fix, thanks for the help.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If it's that close to the hinge, I'd HIGHLY recommend moving the soleniod slightly or covering the connections with some plastic caps or heat shrink tubing.

5. sailinstud420

its getting moved, it seemed like a slick place to mount it, but perhaps it wasnt...

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

At least you found out before it was too late..I've seen truck's burnt to the ground from poorly mounted or routed electrical items, and it's more common than guys realize.:nod: