1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

blowing controller fuses after new solenoid install

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by shep28, Dec 27, 2011.

1. shep28

shep28 Member

What could be causing the fuse to keep blowing?

two orange and black striped wires attached to the bolt that attaches the solenoid to the frame/ground. one orange wire comes from the controller and one orange wire goes to the batt.

brown wire attached to the small bolt on top of the solenoid. there are two bolts on top. brown wire is attached to the wire on the left.

wire to plow attached to large bolt on left hand side of solenoid
    wire to batt attached to large bolt on opposite side of solenoid

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

how many bolts does your solenoid have??

3. shep28

shep28 Member

4. dieselss

i think you got the wrong solenoid. it it says s and i on it,,thats an automotive one that WONT work. and to answer your q? the 2 big terminals are your batt+ and switched batt+ the 2 smaller ones....one comes from your controller to on of the small ones. the other is the gnd,,,bk/og. the one you have is no good. get a plow solenoid only

5. shep28

shep28 Member

Got one today. Have to install it. Thanks

6. dieselss

k,,is it a plow solenoid???/ like a western?? or a sam one?

7. shep28

shep28 Member

it is an extra auto/truck solenoid that I had around the garage that I used in an emergency :eek: and it worked for a while. I thought I could swing it, but I guess not. I bought a western tower style today for $15. The sams look like cheap crap and I did not want to use that brand.

8. dieselss

That should do the trick :)

9. BOSS LAWN

BOSS LAWN Senior Member

I wish I would of came on here earlier, I went through 3 automotive solenoids before I figured out. Only use the ones you get from the plow shops, you'll save a lot of fustration.:realmad:

10. dieselss

Lol sorry to hear that. Well now you know where were at. Ask anytime. :)

11. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

You can use automotive ones but the second little post is not ground, I can't remember exactly what it is but you don't want to use it for ground, I melted insulation off the wire in a hurry that way. Just ground through the mounting bracket and they're fine. Technically I don't think they're quite rated for the duty cycle of a plow one but I've been running one for 4 years with no problem. I've got a SAM for backup but haven't needed it.