1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

blowing condo driveways

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by nor'easter1, Jul 28, 2010.

1. nor'easter1

nor'easter1 Senior Member

Looking into a 40 unit condo complex. Driveways are about 12/15 foot long with asphalt walks going up to door. Was wondering if any one snow blows them either with blower or say a garden tractor with front blower. Seems silly to bring in a skid steer for such a small association and one guy could blow drives and walks all in one swing. open to any other machinery suggestions to. Thanks

2. leon

leon Senior Member

condominiums

99 % of it will be related to how much room you have to get rid of the snow.

If the entire area is flat thats a bonus and the only limitation is storage of snow.

If the sidewalks are flat with no steps all the better as you can use the entire width of thr blower to open the path beyond the sidewalks if there is no shrubbery or open the path to the right of the sidewalk width easily.

If the driveways are next to each other you will have some planning to do as far as removal sequence and wind direction when using a blower.

Using askid steer with a blower will be more troublesome with lower speeds as you are totally dependent on the hydraulic system.

You would be better off using a Kubota BX2660 with
    dual rear remotes
    loaded tires "and" chains when needed to remove snow banks
    hard cab with the kubota three speed defroster/heater front and rear wipers
    high output alternator for cab work lights
    front end loader
    Pronovost Puma 62 model snow blower mounted on the rear to remove everything and be able to throw the snow much further away.
    with hydraulic chute and spout control

The RAD snowblowers built for the kubotas are not built heavy enough for packed ice and snow.

The Puma has a wear scraper edge which will allow you clean the pavement if the snow is powder or fresh wet snow

The BX2660 with the Puma snow blower wil be well worth it if you are cleaning the road for the complex as it will do that nicely too and no snowbanks or blind spots either

leon

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Leon,let boost up that font there!

A company near was using a bob cat with a blower on it and the condo drives were only 12 feet long.

4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Do people park in driveways that are only 12' long? A tractor with a blower should make quick work of 40 drives.

5. leon

leon Senior Member

snow blower

Whoopsie

Sorry about that Grandview I did that one last night or this morning and was not paying attention as I was using the CTRL+ function rather than increasing the font size

Has American Rock Salt filled up the 400000 ton stockpile at the mine yet?

My former employer was found to be totally negligent by MSHA and fully responsible for the Silo collapse and death of the contract truck driver in March of this year; should be interesting to see if any fallout occurs from this-they have paved over the area where the silo was and there is nothing evident to prove that mess was there.

Any death per occurance is a $10,000.00 fine.

leonz

6. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

Kid with a snow blower, no problem. Won't take more then 2 hours.

7. leon

leon Senior Member

condos and snow blowers oh boy

Um , are you really serious in saying
    its will take two hours with all the
    unknown variables, especially if
    the snow pack is 3 feet deep?
    The frying pan and fire come to mind.

leon

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  8. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Good Lord leon!!

What is going on with your posts??? :laughing:

9. leon

leon Senior Member

condo

Hopefully this works anyway

I will leave the print alone as it has been
    a distraction to say the least.

leon

10. Pristine PM ltd

Let me be more clear. An average snowfall, with a nice two stage 36inch self propelled snowblower would make quick work on 40 condo driveways. I would have no trouble getting them cleared in two hours. That isn't enough to justify any other equipment, so spend the money on the blower.

Yes, you are correct that 3 feet of snow would not be the same as 6 inches... I would hope that would be obvious to someone bidding this type of property.

11. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

The last time we had 3' of snow they had to call the army in.

We are hard pressed to get 6" of snow and when we do we usually plow it once before we get 6" so the ladies can still wear their fancy shoes.

Jon was being kind, he would most likely send 2 kids with 36" shovels.

12. Pristine PM ltd

haha, we have done it. Bobcat's break down, get the shovels boys!

13. leon

leon Senior Member

condos attacked by renegade snowblowers

A couple of things come to mind with this puzzle:

if the driveway is 12 feet wide and 12 feet long-

Does each condo have an attached garage?

Is the garage one if those one and half car beauties?

If the condo has two cars- ouch-filled driveway no possible way to clean it

if the cars block the sidewalk nothing short of blowing a path on the lawn

to open up the sidewalk entry- condo associaton complaints about the grass damage- yuck;

fortunes of war and only owning what is within the four walls of your condo.

other issues are the automobiles- can thay be parked on the road or street

without the condo association getting a pimple or hangnail and breaking any

association rules about parking?

what about the "snow emergency" and the inevitable huge snowfall? will the car owmers be able to remove the cars, park them on the street and keep them off the driveways to clean them?-providing the association does not get its pantyhouse in a knot?

If the snow emergency affects the condos and they are on public street emergency snow removal takes precidence and driveways get buried with out hesitation- and it melts and gets heavy and nasty.

another worry is your garden variety light post where are they located if any?

if it were me;

The rear pronovost 48 or 62 inch puma with the extended chute( with chute cover for the extension with or without the hydraulic controls would allow quick work of the mess and use the rear 3 point hitch with no added equipment like the under frame mount.

The 48 would need three passes and the 62 inch will still need to make three passes;

The idea is to totally eliminate any snow banks to avoid ice and packed snow

The 48 inch unit would give you more useable horsepower per foot of cut versus the 62 inch blower.

The Pronovost Puma has a higher throat opening 28 inches and can remove that thickness of snow in one pass if needed.

Assuming the driveway is empty of vehicles when clearing

You would have much flexibility in cleaning with the rear blower
    due to the higher capacity and the throat opening of the Puma 48
    or 62 inch blowers.

The Puma can have a stainless steel wear scraper edge option on the bottom of the
    throat opening to clean the driveway while clearing.

assuming this example:

1 foot of snow depth

no cars in the 12 foot width of driveway

144 times 21 pounds of snow per cubic foot gives you

1800 pounds of snow (rounded higher)
    so if their is 2000 pounds as an example wieght over the 144 square feet not counting the sidewalk
    HA HA we all know theres a lot more !

using 1 mile per hour for the rear travel speed which is 88 feet per minute :

it would require the total time of one minute roughly to clear the 12 foot width of the driveway with

the 48 inch Puma with the extended chute.

The same time would be required to use the 62 inch Puma but it would have less horse power per foot of cut.

The 48 inch Puma would be a better fit for cleaning the sidewalks also as it will be easier to overlap and cut away

any banks of snow and it would be of benefit for narrower areas near a vehicle.

The Puma 48 inch rear blower would be faster and more economical than a self propelled walk behind blower as

it will take much less time to clear snow and will be able to remove snow banks at the same speed and move many more

tons of snow.

The chute extension for the Puma will alow you to throw snow further and higher at the 540 rpm speed at high throttle and

get rid of it the first time. you will be able to remove the chute extension with out issues and use the standard chute also.

adding clarences snow blower impeller kit will allow you to throw snow even furthe for the little it costs and it sweeps the impeller drum clean
    and it will work for the Puma easily.

leon

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  14. Pristine PM ltd

Leon... first of all... I don't know what to say...

Second of all, unless you are giving him this equipment... there is no way in hell that a 40 unit condo would come close to paying enough to support anything that you are talking about...

Do you currently take care of anything close to this type of work?

15. OrganicsL&L

OrganicsL&L Senior Member
    from Maine

I used to snowblow 20 2 car drives that were approx. 25' long and maybe 20' wide(all in 1 complex). I used a grasshopper mower w/a 60" snowblower on it and all 20 took approx. 90 minutes in an average (6-10") storm.

Worked great until we got dumped on with 24" and 6' drifts at the doors!

16. Pristine PM ltd

Exactly along the same lines that I was talking about. These driveways are way smaller then the ones you are talking about, so 90 mins is fair. I wouldn't be surprised if a snowblower was faster then your grasshopper setup.

17. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

Condo's

What if the 36" snowblower craps the bed? Better get two and two operators just in case, A snow remover without a backup is surely a candidate for early retirement ....like it or not. If your thinking tractor or skid, go for it Most of us have more machinery than work for it, in anticipation of getting more work.

18. leon

leon Senior Member

snow and the condos continued

I see nothing wrong with charging $400 for a season per condo in the association and with that kind of pricing you could do a lot of $400 for a season mowing with a 48 inch Caroni flail mower with the F rotor and 88 knives with hydraulic sideshift mounted on the rear of the Bx2660 and cover a lot of ground and have a beautiful lawn everywhere. there will be very lettle trimming to do too as the mower can get very close to everything and not make missles out of anything it may hit thats hidden in the grass.

The 48 inch flail mower will mow quickly even when its wet and damage the turf less and create nice ribbon patterns with no scalping.
    The flail mower will leave little if any clippings and the minor clipping that are left will compost quickly.

The advantages outwiegh any negatives as the rear blower will also handle the road to with no issues as it will eliminate any banks by disposing of the snow the first time. It might take a little longer but no mail boxes will be damaged or curbs broken and you could spread sand and sweep it later if needed. Adding the chute extension to the blower will allow you to throw the snow further with no issues.:drinkup:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  19. Pristine PM ltd

You really like your equipment discussions don't you Leon? I am going to have to look into this stuff before I have a comeback for you. :)

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  20. Pristine PM ltd

Ok, explain your $400 per season pricing? Is that $800 a year? You will get nowhere close to that with condo's, and you can't use a flail mower on nice lawn can you? Won't the tractor be to heavy?