1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

blowing a little snow 31jan10 Durango Colorado

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by rich414, Feb 1, 2010.

1. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

2. ConnorExum

ConnorExum Senior Member

3. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

heated, and enclosed, keep a bottle of windex with 50% rubbing alcohol to remove the ice on the windshield wipers, sometimes the door lock freezes up, but it gets the job done, just not quickly, just in January i have 84hrs blowing/plowing on this 4 mile road
  4. ConnorExum

ConnorExum Senior Member

Well at least you are warm in your cab during your laborious task of blowing the road. Is the road your own private road or is it a commercial service your are providing? I find 84hrs to be staggering, that is a real investment in time doing that job. Are you getting a lot snow right now?
  5. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

this is a private subdividion road. I stupidly said that I would plow the road, last snow season, I plowed for a total of 32hrs, there are 2 other residences that I plow, one is full time the other is a vacation home, and is from Houston..He is driving me nuts, with his telling me how he wants his road plowed. "down to the road base or find someone else" Just in January we have has 5-6feet of snow, and one evening the wind blew like crazy and drifter the snow and fill the road back up....There is a chance of snow in the 7 day forecast....gotta go dig into the houston vacation home..
  6. ConnorExum

ConnorExum Senior Member

I can see how that job is not your favorite place to be now. Well perhaps you'll have to raise your rates...
  7. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

Rich, you guys are getting the perfect part of just about every storm, there in the SW corner. Good for you. Nice work.
  8. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Seems like a snow bucket would cut that time in half. I don't know how good you are with the Bobcat but the blower is slow. The blower gets the snow farther off the road though. Try hitting the heavy stuff with the snow bucket and then clean-up with the blower? Then you could move faster with the blower. One more thought would be a v-plow for the first pass through the middle of the road. That's a sweet blower BTW.
  9. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Great spot. went to Fort Lewis for a couple years there. Tell me... Is Gazpachos still at the end of the main drag downtown? Loved their sopapillas.(sp?)
  10. JMR

JMR Senior Member

1983 Fort Lewis graduate here. Attended 1978-1983..
  11. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

agree witht he snow bucket, but the road is 4 miles long times 2 for both sides, that is ALOT of twisting and turning, waer on the chains and your, mind and body...blowing, you still need to focus ont he road, but not as much, we have a v plow and a dozer blade..blowing only takes place when there is NO place to plow the snow to.

The blower is awesome, and works great but slow, It better than a shovel!
  12. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

yes it still there tuesday night $1.00 taco and beer!!!
  13. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

move back here and you can have MY job plowing our subdivision road! I love it here!!
  14. Greenery

Greenery 2000 Club Member

Is that a high flow blower?
  15. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

YES the blowe is High FLow

the machine produces 37gpm and 3300psi so it states, have not hooked up a flow meter for an actual reading

Dont have the blower specs infront of me for the EXACT motor flow ratings....
  16. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

Why is it a bad job? Are you not paid by the hour? I can see going so slow driving me nuts but not the fact you have work and a lot of it. Try a loader with a blade...more productive IMO.....of course not everyone has one...
  17. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

4 mile road, 2500ft elevation change, a neighor that bitches about everything. and I always forget to my bottle of whisky with me. Its been a long January. Yes I get paid by the hour at $100/hr, Going slow sucks! I know 2 different subdivisions where backhoe's with blades have rolled, they caught an edge and over. The same thing could happen with the loader, and it will roll harder...I am thing a DOT blower....
  18. ConnorExum

ConnorExum Senior Member

So is that uniform over the distance or is it all in one spot that elevation change? Because isn't that almost a 12% grade change if it is uniform over the 4 miles?
  19. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

some is flat some is more than 12% and there are a few places where there is a shear drop off, there are approx 15 hair-pin corners, basically this road is a pain, speed to plow is not really an option.....
  20. leon

leon Senior Member

road work

The video you posted is very informative with the snow depth etc.

The Beilhack large snow blower would be a good option for you with the power and speed to do the job using a very large farm tractor rather than a grader with a Costan snow blower up front on the grader.

The HS 240 Z would handle the snow quickly using a high horse power tractor as the snow caster has twin fans that dig an blow the snow in one revolution and throw it quite a ways away with the directional spout.

One of the newer tractors with the larger horse power with the front mount three point hitch and the operator being able to look over the front of the tractor would be something to consider.

You could save the Bobcat for the smaller areas with no issues

You would not need a unimog with a secondary engine either.

leasing/renting a large tractor for the winter season and buying the

HS 240 Z snow blower would save capital.