1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blowin snow to sand

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by mossman381, Jan 22, 2010.

1. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

Here are some pics I got today at my sisters cranberry marsh. They were snowblowing the beds so they could sand them. I thought you guys might like to see.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. mossman381

Here they are sanding the bed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Yes, I'm stupid. Why do they do this?

4. flatlander42

flatlander42 Senior Member

x2 ..........

5. ihdriver7088

ihdriver7088 Senior Member

i'm betting its to rebed the marshes for next years crop just my guess as a farmer

6. mossman381

It helps get a better crop and keeps disease down. They do it about every 3 years.

7. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

Would never guess what the heck they were doing if I drove by. Thanks for the info!

8. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

how much sand does it take?
    steve

9. mossman381

I am not sure. Maybe 11 dump truck loads to do the bed I have pictured. They are laying the sand down very thin, because the cranberry vines are under the ice they are driving on. If they go to thick they will bury the vines. They just want to cover some of them. Here is a pic of how they load the dump trucks.

[​IMG]

10. Jello1

Jello1 Senior Member

Pretty cool. nice pics.

11. Kuzanut

Kuzanut Senior Member

At the end of the season do they drain the fields completely? or do they leave a few inches of water and let is freeze solid? All i know about cranberries is from those commercials on tv.

12. mossman381

The beds are not flooded most of the year. They water them just about every day with. They flood the beds to harvest and then they flood again when the weather gets really cold to make ice, so they can drive in the beds to sand.

13. Kuzanut

Kuzanut Senior Member

alrighty, one more question. If your gonna truck in material to help regen the beds why wouldn't they use somthing with some organic material in it?

14. mossman381

The sand is not trucked very far. They are using sand on their own property. The cranberry vines are planted in sand. They don't want dark or black dirt in the beds.

15. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

very interesting. Didn't know any of that.

16. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Very interesting thx for the pics

17. Kuzanut

Kuzanut Senior Member

Nice. I wasn't worried about the carbon footprint of trucking the sand . . ok i'm done. can't believe i actually said that.. The fact that the vines grow in sand is pretty cool. Do they have to fertilize often? or is that where they have adapted to grow?

18. mossman381

The shorter the distance to truck the sand the less time and money it takes to sand. They do fertilize during the summer.