1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blowers in the N.E.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Big Dog D, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Does anybody in the New England area have any experience with snowblowers that are skidsteer mounted? I am looking at a large complex with limited storage areas and am considering a blower. My concern is that it would probably work great with a season like we had last year, mostly light powdery type snows, but what about the heavier wetter snows? Can I expext them to work about the same as a walkbehind unit? Better? Worse?
  2. Ron's Lawncare

Ron's Lawncare Junior Member

you can't compare them to a walkbehind blower. a buddy of mine has a New Holland ls 170 with a 72'' 2 stage blower on it i used it last year to move hard snow piles never clogged once.

3. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Blower on Northeast coast

That title could mean lots of things.
    I ran a Case 1840 with a Erskine model 1812 at the north end of Route 128 last season,it did great.You are not going to find heavier wetter snow than that blowing off the Atlantic.Of coarse the state with all their wisdom deceided halfway threw the season with over 30" snow banks that they must clear all the sidewalks under and over passes.
    This is a regular/low flow machine and as long as you work your way into the heavy stuff it chews right threw it throwing the heaviest stuff 15' over the gaurdrails.It will break up ice crusted snow banks.At some points I had to take down 6' high corners that had been there for over a month.There is a hydraulic bypass so if it does get clogged there are no shear pins to deal with.And it will clog if you are in a hurry with the slushy stuff.
    I've been told the highflow machines are allot better.If I was to setup another it would be a high flow but was very happy with the low flow.
    I ran circles around the backhoes working with me and when I was finished there where no snow banks to deal with.With a chute extension I could also load dumps if needed.

Erskine Blower 1812.jpg
  4. Big Dog D

HAve you used it in previous years on the heavier, almost sloppy type snow? I don't want to bid something based on using solely this unit and find out that it won't work on "fresh" heavier type snows and get burned.
  5. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Well, it did snow during the period I was out!!!

There was plenty of FRESH heavy snow while I was out.Heck over 18" one storm.
    Hey, you never know, what worked great for me might not work at all for you.All depends on the operator, the machine you put it on, whether it is matched to the machine etc....They make a different blower/Hydraulic pump/motor for different machines so you cannot expect just to throw one on and have it work.You need to talk with the manufacture and get the right one.
    You should call Erskine and talk with them directly,they are great guys to deal with,218-687-4045 if that number doesnt work they are online. WWW.ErskineAttachments.com or something like that.
  6. Big Dog D

I'm not doubting you I just remember almost all of our storms last year as Light in nature. I plan on calling Erskine but wanted to talk to owners of the equipment for some honest input before I got the biased angle from the salesman.

Anynody know who makes BOBCAT's blowers??
  7. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

Yup, Erskine.
  8. Big Dog D

Any others worth considering besides the Erskine? Anybody know if Bobcat makes their own or if somebody makes them for them??
  9. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

Last edited: Oct 20, 2005
  10. Big Dog D

11. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

my friend used one on a cat skid steer to pile higher it worked great. cleaned the lot fine during last years blizzard too.
  12. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

kubota pto snowblowers

In the past we used a 2650 that would blow snow 50' after some welding modifications. We just bought the new 28 series, 63" and expect it to blow 55-60'
  13. snow white

snow white Member

the bobcat and erskine are the same uniits,the high flow is better as it will pass more snow,i have 7 skids equipted with blowers for sidewalks,we have gone through and cleared after a 90" 30 hour storm where they were piled 12' high. but if the snow is wet do not drive the machine through it but rev it full throttle and inch it forward..i watch the discharge chute as long as it is throwing snow i keep up the speed as the snow starts falling out the chute back off before it clogs.....