1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blower to buy???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by proscaper, Oct 26, 2010.

1. proscaper

proscaper Junior Member

Looking at purchasing a blower for skidloader to mostly spend its time at the far end of lots blowing piles over curbs to eliminate the need push it over with wheel loader and damage lawns.

My question is, does anyone have good (or bad) experiance with a certain brand over another.
    Looking for something that is built well to take a beating and be able to chew through some hardened stuff that may have sat around awhile.

Will be run by a track machine most of the time(not high flow) 18gpm @ 3000psi

Thanks for any help!
  2. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

im ordering an erskine 85" hi flow blower this week.

from what ive researched and price wise, the erskine was the best. 6475 otd.
    but mine will be doing small short drives in a housing development.
  3. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

That's a good price. I paid $8400 for my Bobcat highflow blower.
  4. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

What model bobcat H/F blower do you have and when did you buy it ?
    Width ?
  5. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I have the sbx240. Bought it January 09.
  6. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

For skidloaders I'd say the Erskine is my favorite. BTW, I do have 2 bobcat blowers and they have held up just fine.
  7. leon

leon Senior Member

snow blower attachment etc.

You should look at the Pronovost hydraulic driven blowers-

Puma 54H MLHS hydraulic motor rated for 20 gallons per minute maximum flow

8. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Leon does Pronovost make the PXPL for a skid steer? That's the one I like because of that blade that backdrags. Just curious.
  9. leon

leon Senior Member

Greetings and salutations,

I wish they did but unfortunately they do not
    build a PXPL below 84 inches; I am sure they
    would consider building one for a client as it is
    simply a matter of reduction in size.

10. blowerman

Sorry, but it is not a matter of just reducing the size. These are custom built blowers mainly for use with the bi-directional tractor.
    Since he is looking for advice, perhaps guys with actual skidloader blower experience can add some input.
  11. blowerman

Here is a picture to give you an idea of the differences.

Blower 1.jpg
  12. leon

leon Senior Member

snow blowers for skid steers etc.

The Pronovost PXPL is designed to be used
    both with a standard farm tractor and a bi-directional
    tractor so its not much of an issue to begin with.
  13. WIPensFan

Are you guys saying they would build one custom for a skid? If they would I would seriously consider it. Probably cost a fortune, in which case I would consider it less seriously.
  14. blowerman

Come on Leon, next time you pee away the cost of a PXPL (I know what they cost) let me know someone that wants to waste the money on one so they can put it on a farm tractor?
  15. WIPensFan

Did I miss something here?
  16. blowerman

Not really, just that proscape was looking for advice on a skiddy blower and it became a debate on the pxpl. For $18K plus, would you really use that blower to move back piles at the end of a lot.

To help you our: the Erskine standard flo blowers are in the $5-6K range.
    I've got three and don't think I paid more than $4K for any of them and they have all held up well.
  17. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

I have a s300 HiFlow with the biggest blower that bobcat makes(240sbx?), my friend has the same machine with an erskin blower, Differences, with Erskin, you need another control wire from the blower to the engine compartment in the bobcat, Erskin, you can use on any machine, Bobcat blower only bobcat. The erskin hydraylics are plumbed differently than bobcat, I am not an hydraulic expert, but I think the erskin plumbing is more efficent, all the fluid goes to the fan then the auger, on the erskin on bobcat they split the flow. (I think). The erskin fan is deeper than the bobcat and made of thicker metal. I have bent my bobcat fan many times, If i was to buy again, not sure what I would bo....Erskin is going to be cheaper! make a decision based on the availability of parts?they are both are good units,
    I know that my blower does a great job on shrubs, dripsystem piping and landscape bark!
    go on my youtube site. "richthecliffs" and look at the videos of my blower in 8' of total snowfall naturally compacted to 3'.
    Some day I will get my blower up against the erskin blower in a side by side test..maybe this year. good luck with you purchase....
  18. WIPensFan

rich414, I watched your video. That was a lot of snow! Those are the instances where the snow bucket is faster. I'm guessing the Bobcat vs Erskine blower will yield similar results. They can't perform that much differently. Good video BTW.

Proscaper, buy the blower that you have the best dealer support for. You know it will break at some point and they will need to have parts available for you quickly, hopefully! Unless you're a fix it myself guy, in which case buy either of these 2 blowers mentioned. I'm sure the Bobcat blower is well made, all the attachments I've run from them have been.
  19. leon

leon Senior Member

snow blowers

No you did not miss anything, as I just mentioned the four Pronovost models that are driven by hydraulic power as a possibile option, where as the smallest unit they offer in using a "Maximum" of 20 gallons per minute of flow through the remote outlet would work on your skid steer and in so doing providing that you actually can divert that much flow from the main pump and chain drive motors only in normal use.

These Pronovost blowers can be independent where they are operated by the carriers available hydraulic power and reservoir OR they can be powered by a Pump and Tank system powered by a tractors Power Take Off system with High pressure hydraulic hoses that are run from the tank to the front end loader and attached to the tractor with loom clamps

One could if they desired employ a motorised pump and tank system and trailed carrier on a single dolly wheel as is used by a many hay windrowers as the tail swing would be the exact same as the skid steer loader plus the number of feet required to build or mount the carrier.

Motorised independent hydraulic power units are available for sale and could be used to run larger blowers without plumbing into the skid steers main hydraulic system and diverting that amount of oil from the steering and wheel drives.

The issue becomes one of tail swing and backing as the power unit and tank is directly behind the engine compartment IF it is attached to the rear of the carrier; BUT if you could tolerate a distance of X plus in front of the skid steer to carry the power unit and the quick attach snow blower it eliminates the issue of tail swing and backing into an object causing or incurring damages(the skid steer no longer becomes a zero tail swing machine).

The skid loader automatically becomes longer in total length and this affects the forward travel as it is much longer in total length and care in driving and maintaining clearances with bicycle marker flags for example would be warranted in that case where a rear mounted camera would work well with bicycle flags for the rear attachment of a power unit.

The issue of wiggle room hangs over an installion of this type as your side to side movement(s) is/are limited by swing of the furthest corner of the power unit and blower in both instances of a front mounted power unit with the snow blower in front of the power unit mounted on a quick attach kit or the furthest point at the rear where the power unit would be attached to the rear of the skid steer.

The PXPL is a very strongly built piece of iron and the saying "you only buy a good tool once" applies as this model will last a long time and with normal repairs and maintenance will last even longer than the 7 year depreciated life span per the IRS and the current tax laws involving

A two stage snow blower requires more work to build than a single stage blower for a farm tractor or other carrier, whereas the single stage snow blower employs a solid auger ribbon with a shallow depth solid full auger flighting to the center of the blowers chute and spout using the augers last few inches in the center in creating a short shelf to throw the snow out of the chute at a very high speed to dispose of it as the snow is carried to the center of the implement.

The problem with these units is heavy snow and ice and they run into trouble simply due to snow melt.

The Yamaha and BCS snow blowers overcome this with the use of a gear to gear drive train
    in thier two stage units ans well as the BCS single stage snow blower.

The issue of snow melt / melt wieght per cubic foot is and always will be the enemy of the small snow blower if time is of the essence in clearing and any clean up.

The single stage propeller type snow blowers are used for frozen plowed banks or powder and are very fast in operation and simple to maintain as they are directly driven by a P.T.O. shaft from the carrier whether it is a farm tractor or Unimog or a railroad type snow clearer.

20. leon

leon Senior Member

snow blower