1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blower question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Tierra, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Tierra

Tierra Junior Member

I'm purchasing a snow blower for my business and I'm being sent in all different directions. If anyone could give me the some real-life pro's and con's I would appreciate it!
  2. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

toro powerlite,

ligght weight, works well, usa made,
  3. Tierra

Tierra Junior Member

ok so the two-stage mega machines are actually not the way to go? What about the ones that scrap the gound vs. not touching ground?
  4. snowman4

snowman4 Senior Member

Larue 7460 looks to be a very efficient machine.
  5. Tierra

Tierra Junior Member

hmmm. Looking for one for the walks buddy.
  6. JohnDeere2320

JohnDeere2320 Member

I would recommend either Toro or Ariens for either dingle or dual stage models. I don't know what you mean about scraping the ground or ones that don't, but typically 2dual stage models have adjustable shoes that you can let down for gravel areas or terrible broken concrete, or raise them all the way up to let the scraper scrape the cement clean. All single stage models scrape all the time. You might get a cleaner result with a single stage model because they usually come with a plastic scraper which tends to scrape better than a steel scraper found on dual stage models, but the plastic scrapers wear out much faster and you are down to steel anyways, and if you run it too long like that you risk wearing out the steel on the bottom of the machine which is not easily replaceable as it is a major part of the body of the machine.

You have to think about your primary use for ther machine to determine if you want a single or dual stage model. If the machine will be loaded and unloaded from a truck many times a snowfall, I would lean towards a single stage, and single stages are much more maneurverable for small cleanup jobs. Dual stages would offer much better drift cutting and they will go through hard packed snow say from a snowplow much better than a lighter weight single stage unit that will tend to climb the pile.

Hope this helps. Take care. Mike
  7. larrylaverne

larrylaverne Member
    from ill.

dad ran a toro single stage. re-paddled it every 2 years plus 1 scraper bar. ran it 5-6 driveways per snowfall x 8 years. ran stabilizer, emptied the tank end of season. cleaned down to the pavement. this year 1st time in the shop (no start) been a real good machine. i ran my toro single stage and beat it for 5 years. only thing i ever did was re-paddle and 1 primer bulb (cracked on the inside) gave it to my son, he rebuilt it. runs and looks good. the only thing is the singles won't clean heavy wet salted snow at the end of the drives very well, now i have a john deere 2 stage 30 inch cut, adjusted skids and scraper bar so it cleans right to the pavement just as good as the toro single stage. the toro is probably quicker and easier to throw around. 2 stage can sometimes jolt you if you hit something such as cracked sidewalks etc. a good big engined 2 stager will take care of eod stuff from the city. buy from a good servicing dealer, he is not going to sell junk.