1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blower or Plow?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by bowmans, Nov 17, 2005.

1. bowmans

bowmans Junior Member

This is my first year getting into the snowplowing business and im looking to do 10-20 small driveways (by this i mean no bigger than 25x50 but mostly smaller than that. I dont have a lot of capital to spend on a nice $3k plow seeing as how i just had to purchase a new truck and all (s10). I know its small and all but being 20 and starting a business isnt a walk in the park. Anyway i am wondering if i should buy a decent snow blower or a low end plow say the snowbear. If i get the plow im looking at about $1,500 all together and i cant afford much more unless im financed. I could use some help what do you think can i be effective doing small drives with a snow blower or should i spend the extra 500 and go with the small plow?
  2. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

I'd spend the extra and go with a plow for sure, your inside a heated cab, and you can drive to each driveway and nto have to load up a blower in between. Try to find a used plow, I know around here theres always ones in the paper for around 500 bucks, then just gotta find a mount for your vehicle.
  3. daveintoledo

daveintoledo Senior Member
    from nw ohio

dont forget the cost of insurance

i went with the snowthrower for this year, the cost of plowing insurance is very high, but you have to have it
  4. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

Start with a snowblower. Takes a little longer but does neater job. Plus you could charge a little extra and do sidewalk. Once you get some $$ coming in then you can get a better snowplow. ;)
  5. bowmans

bowmans Junior Member

good info, keep it coming. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good snow blower that wont break down and wont break the bank also?
  6. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I will agree that a snowblower does a much nicer job, but it takes much more time to complete a driveway, add in the loading and unloading time, and you won't be done with 20 driveways until about the middle of May. And keep in mind, you won't be able to charge any more even though it takes longer. Another thing to consider is how exhausted you will be after the first few, freezing your face off because the snow always blows back in your face. Oh wait, you're only 20, you don't get exhausted. How about people waiting for you to come blow their driveway; are you going to make a couple trips around the route, or wait until its done and do them all once? If it was a whole bunch close together that you could walk the machine to, like some kind of condo complex or something, then it may be worth it, but only if they are tiny quick driveways. I've known people to do that, do every little driveway on a street. And I suspect most condo and other similar types of housing have contract plowers. I have used a plow, an ATV with a 5 ft plow, and a snowblower to do my driveway over the years. Plow took about 5-10 minutes, ATV took 30-40 minutes (including time for doing donuts in the street) and snowblower took 40 minutes. My driveway is about 50-60 feet by 25 or so, crushed stone with a slight incline. My advice would be to search the classifieds hard for a used plow, check the used forum here everyday, search Ebay and something will turn up. Thats what I always do, and thanks to Plowsite (thanks Oshkosh!) I found a screaming deal on a Blizzard, was a bit of a hike but well worth the trip. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2005
  7. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I bought a 20 year old Ariens that has been well-maintained, and I bet it will outlast the cheap plastic stuff they sell today.

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

Go with the snowblower, you don't need a big truck to plow but it is easier than with the s-10. Get an Ariens, I have one and never had problems! Ariens even makes a 36" with electric everything including chute control!
    good luck

Also might want to contact local companies and see about subing as "handcrew" which is non plowing stuff like sidewalks and things where a plow can't go. You can make great money that way!
  9. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

A good compromise I think would be a tractor with a blower. If you gotta utility trailer it'll work perfect. We have a john deer 318 with a 54" blower on the front. Then when done drive it into the trailer and go tot he next one.
  10. Maine_Snowman

Maine_Snowman Junior Member

I put a wanted ad in the Uncle Henry's (local classified book) saying I was looking for a used plow for my 99 Tacoma. I ended up getting a mint used Fisher 6'9" blade installed for $2000.