1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

blower or atv plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by vlc27, Nov 24, 2008.

1. vlc27

vlc27 Junior Member
    from nj

Ok! I have been maintaining a sidewalk that is about 1/2 a mile long for several years and I'm wondering what opinions anyone may have over using a snow blower or a ATV. I have never plowed with an ATV but I'm worried about damaging the turf since the walk is only 4ft wide (mostly tire over ride). Plus it is in a large town house community and I'm concerned about this not looking very professional and being a disturbance. Granted a snow blower is not much quieter. What I deal with on this walk is a lot of roadway snow being plowed onto the walk do to closeness to the roadway. So my question I guess is there a kick butt snow blower out there or should I purchase a used ATV and get a plow. Oh I've been using a snow blower in the past but it is only a 29 inch and I'm not that impressed but we have always managed to get the job done on time either shovel or blower.
    Thanks

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  2. nixray

nixray Senior Member

Personally....if YOU can justify the exspense go with a UTV (Gator, Mule, Cushman) with a plow and salter, and don't worry about if it looks "PRO" as long as the job gets done right!

3. vlc27

vlc27 Junior Member
    from nj

thanks again for any info or ideas

4. vlc27

vlc27 Junior Member
    from nj

UTV would be to big, I'm trying to keep the wheel base under or near that 48 inch mark.

5. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

If your bushing 4'' or less on most storms and ATV would work ok, you can get one with a 48'' plow. But since you are worried about the grass you should get one of those realy wide snow blowers.

6. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

have been clearing sidewalks for over 10 years. We use a v-plow, works great untill you start building up the sides around 2 feet tall.

7. vlc27

vlc27 Junior Member
    from nj

I'm worried about the snow blower riding up or pulling to one side do to snow conditions. Like snow blowers do! Any experiences with the Honda hydo track blowers. Heard they are more front heavy, but pricey.

8. dannyslawn

dannyslawn Senior Member

We have 1 account that is 2000 liner feet of 4' wide sidewalk. We've been doing it for the past 6 years with snow blowers. 2/3 of this sidewalk has 4' of grass then a county road. the county plows can really pile up the snow. All our snow blowers are Toros from 6.5 HP single stage snow throwers to 13 HP 2 stage. This can be real challenging to clear, but we have a clause in the contract that states if the county plows pile snow on the sidewalk we charge accordingly. Also, when one of our plow trucks pass by this account during a storm they put the blade down and plow the road very slowly. This avoids the snow being thrown onto the sidewalk. It has helped out alot. When we recieve alittle snow (5" or less) we use the single stage snow throwers. They really blow through the snow very fast.

9. dannyslawn

dannyslawn Senior Member

vlc27 what part of NJ are you from?

10. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

What about putting a blade on a big snowblower. I'm thinking about that for the commercial walks we do. Around entrances to stores I thinking plowing is better than blowing. Not as fast as a atv but maybe a little easier to move around.

11. jason t.

jason t. Member

Get a v plow for an ATV. take off the bracket that adjusts the the wings, that will make the plow about 4 inches narrower in the v position. That way you don"t have to charge for edging.

We plow about 3 miles of perimeter for HOA's every snow. never complaints about the perimeters. Just make sure you let the driver know this is not playtime. 10mph max on the streets on the way back to the truck. A bit slow for the return trip, but the homeowners see that and are impressed that you aren't horsing around.

12. vlc27

vlc27 Junior Member
    from nj

northern Nj, Actually that is pretty much exactly how I handle it and I also drop my plow on that side of the road and take it nice and slow. Had a meeting with the town Dpw to be on the up and up. I'm really looking for the most effective, less labor intensive and faster way.

13. jason t.

jason t. Member

oops. Double post

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008