1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blower OK for hard drifts?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by tree guy, Dec 17, 2007.

1. tree guy

tree guy Junior Member

I'm in Colorado at about 9000', have a 400' gravel driveway with some 12% grades up and down over a hill. Big problem is high winds which drift snow over about half the driveway, sometimes several X after initial dump. These drifts are usually only 1-2 feet high, but hard enough to walk on top of. (Have thought about snow fencing, but the terrain's pretty complicated, and I'm not sure that will help.)

Up to now, we've hired out the snow removal--always done with a front loader or backhoe/loader. Last winter 6X at $75/pop, with too many delays. I can't afford a proper plow rig (which might struggle w/ drifts anyways?), so I'm looking at a good-sized blower with a serrated auger, like the Ariens 1027. Looked at the Honda track drives too, but $$ a bit much. I'd use chains if I got a wheeled blower like the Ariens.

Any experience out there using a blower to get through really hard drifts, and on steep slopes, gravel driveway?
  2. never used a blower on a gravel but i have went through some large drifts and it works very well you just have to take you time especially if it is heavy snow
  3. saabman

saabman Member
    from Maine

Once you get a little snow and the gravel freezes you will be fine with the blower.
  4. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

When I was a kid, (I'm talking 10 years old) we had a 6 hp Crafsman snow blower. Our driveway was 140 ft straight up and gravel.

With chains on the wheels there was never a traction problem..remember that when I was 10 that the handle bars were fasce high....so I wasn't man handling the thing around.

Here's a couple observations...

By the time I was 11, I was a pro at replacing shear pins in the auger....buy yourself a bag full.

Get a wind shield/screen....this is a must in a windy area like you describe

Don't even think about it--put chains on right away and leave them on.

If you get an Ariens, .....one of the guys at work has one--he had major problems with the reverse---some linkage issue----do yourself a favor and get one at a dealer, and make sure its put together right.... I suppose this would be true for any brand, but I bring up Ariens because the guy is still pulling it backward now.