1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

blower motor ?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by PTTP08, Dec 28, 2010.

1. PTTP08

PTTP08 Senior Member
    from mn

I have a 92 chev 3/4 ton WT. My blower has 4 speed settings and it only works on the top 2 I would like it to work on the lower 2 settings. I dont have ac and my controls are the sliding/cable type it is a real basic system. I found the blower motor so that is a good thing. Do these systems have the resister you all talk about? if so where is it?Is it in the blower motor or is it on the fan switch it self? I looked in my chiltons and it does'nt say nothing about a resister and it only shows you how to take the motor out and there is not a trouble shooting section whick blows donkey di@#. Thanks much guys/gals

ussmileyflag

2. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

I vaguely remember doing it in my 92 K1500 Blazer. The resistor I believe is in the dash on the passenger side... kind of above/behind the glovebox. Take the glovebox out and check there.

If the resistor is bad, it's a sign that the blower motor itself is going bad (drawing to many amps, causing the resistor to fail). So best bet is to replace the blower motor, and the resistor at the same time. Otherwise the failing blower motor might ruin your new resistor quickly.

3. tsut

tsut Member
    from NE Ohio

Blower motor resistors - just did both my Cavalier (2nd time) and Wrangler. Easy job; depending on what else is in the way. Cheap ~$20 part; checkout any Auto repair (Autozone, NAPA, etc). Resistors seem to "toast" with start/stop transients if you leave your vent fan running at startup/shut off.

Various on-line manuals should ID where to look and how easy/hard install will be.

4. PTTP08

PTTP08 Senior Member
    from mn

Well I just did the resiste.r I found it right behind the glove box. You couldnt miss it that is for sure. But it is doing the same thing still works on the 2 higher settings but nothing on the lower 2?? Well I am going to replace the blower switch now.I need to replace the bulbs in there anyway than if that don't do it I will do the blower motor. I should just do the blower motor any way but we will see how many beers the switch takes haha

5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Check the wiring too. I helped my neighbor with his Chevy and I fould a wire harness junction plug bad. It was fried and oil soaked. It was below the heater box and near the engine. The blower would work perfect one day the next day no high. My Monti Carlo had the same problem. So I knew what to look for.