1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blower for Small Gated Community....?...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Winterized, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Winterized

Winterized Senior Member

Am I way off base thinking that a good operator... using a blower would be much more efficient clearing snow in a small gated housing development than a truck plow?

Only about a mile of narrow road... short driveways 20 35 ft. ... couple of ...cauldasacs spelling? About 30 fancy homes and condos, very close together... almost no place to push snow. The homeowners have always had concerns about the sod damage from past Winters.

You would need a couple shovel guys. And one truck plow should be more than enough. I just do a lawn or two here, but it seems that nobody around here... contractors that is... want anything to do with snow blowers for this type of housing.

I have seen videos posted that are just drop-dead efficient using blowers. Seems local snow guys just have a different way of thinking. Or.... I'm the one that's goofy.

Your thoughts?
  2. MB3

MB3 Senior Member

I would go with the blowers, all being that close together, and you will do a far batter job with the blowers than a great plow guy could, and probably faster. If will not have the sod damage as you would from plowing, and the end result will be better. good snow blower, with an experienced guy, and a could of shovelers, you could cruze throught there like crazy.
  3. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

I love my tractor mounted blower and when I bid on a similar project, I had planned on using it.

Mine is 51" wide front mount. It is perfect for the sidewalks. Good on driveways with deeper snow. Throughs the snow in the yard instead of piling it up. Reduced sod damage. But when you do hit the grass it blows it all over the yard and they can see it.

Down side is the noise. Much louder than a pickup truck back bladeing. Can be slower than a truck with small accumulations.

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

guy i sub for does a few hoa's. they run skidsteers with a pusherbox that flips over for back dragging

5. leon

leon Senior Member

snow blower for cul desac

No you are not off base or goofy:

Using edge makers or 8 foot t-posts seasonally to delineate drive ways is an easy way to avoid grass and drop offs etc.

If you invest in the right blower and tractor with a heated cab you will have a pair of lifetime machines;
    and not require truck.

One model type for the "Pronovost" line of rear mounted snowblowers has a dragging apron(with a rubber blade) that allows you to back right up to an over head door or up a side walk to pull the snow away from the area and then discharge it where it will be out of the way by simply backing up with the blower running-PTO engaged.

One of the rear mounted Pronovost units(with the scraper) in front of a tractor would work well with a the addition of a buckeye rear to front end PTO adapter which would allow you to use any three point hitch implement on the front of the tractor.

www. Kubota.com

The Pronovost folks have a nice batch of videos and the video describing ther PXPL blowers is very well illustrated using a large blower with a larger tractor.

The pronovost blower model for a small tractor like the B3030 is The PXPL-86 and a hydraulic rotator and chute deflector is a must with a cab tractor anyway.

In the event of a storm you have few options for disposal so a heavy blower used to simply blow the snow in front of the blower while traveling in reverse allows you to have complete control of where it is discharged with no worries about hitting something with the discharged snow as well-very good for the PR side of things. :^)

The nice thing about these Pronovost snowblower units is the dragging blade can also be used just as a plow would be used with faster results eliminating a truck with a better cleaning job as the material is pulled away and blown out of the way or draged to a location to be blown out later-very handy for a long drive way that needs cleaning and there is no snow line pile left to make a mess as it is blown away out of the way.

You would be able to pull all the snow from all the driveways out into the access road all at once if there is no vehicular activity and then clean it up all at once depositing it where it is out of the way.

The pronost folks make a quick attach hydraulic drive snow blower for a tractor loader boom as well I think- but the rear mounted PXPL is a lifetime piece of machinery.

Adding a few extra high power quartz work lites in the rear on the cab will help with visibility too especially during heavy snow falls.

The Kubota B3030(approximately 45-50 horse power) with a Kubota cab, work lights
    loaded tires etc. is very small and capable and obtaining a Pronovost snow blower
    The model PXPL-86 will be easier than a Kubota snow blower as the company that builds them (RAD) is months behind in orders as of now. The Kubota blowers are not as well built with thinner steel etc., not something you want to deal on a commercial account as they have a habit of having the auger shaft slide out of position when the side wall frame of the blower is tweaked/widened by accident.

my two cents.:sleeping:
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2008