1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

blower attachment skid steer

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by legoconstruct, Dec 16, 2003.

1. legoconstruct

legoconstruct Junior Member

the blower attachment for a skid steer has got to cost what 4k
    a skid steer is a loader lets not forget that. you can move and pile large amounts of snow with it.if you get a snow bucket usually twicw as large as a standard bucket you can move mass amounts of snow fast.
    you can also get a snow pusher which will push large amounts of snow. both these will cost a fraction of the blower attachment and cost way less to maintain.
    finally a plow on a skid steer is just a waist for the reasons i mentioned above.
    a skid steer is a loader not a truck max top speed is what 2 miles per hour you can push lots more snow with a plow.
    thats my two cents.

2. jkkalbers

jkkalbers Senior Member

you obviously have never had use for a blower. When you have a 4 foot snow bank on a mile of curbline I guarantee the blower will do it faster every time not to mention much easier, less chance of tearing sod. Just my 2 cents worth. Plus the labor amount saved will pay for the blower in a couple of years.payup

3. JasonJ

JasonJ Member

We have tried to clear with a large bucket on the Bobcat and it doesn't work nearly as well as the plow blade. Also, skidsteers move faster than 2 mph. We have the 753 Turbo and that thing moves pretty fast. It may not set the street on fire, but it will clear a lot almost as fast as a truck, and works much better in tight areas. Also, you can stack really high with the plow blade, as high if not higher than with a bucket. The only time we even use a bucket is if we have to move excess piles snow, then we bring in the dump truck, load it up, and take it away. The snowthrower attachment is great because it eliminates having to fuss with snow piles, and leaves a neat clean appearance. We would get one if we had more of a call for it.

4. Remsen1

Remsen1 Senior Member

A skid steer is MUCH MUCH more than a loader! That is worse than saying a truck is only a pickup meant for carrying things.

5. Dynamike

Dynamike Junior Member

Hey Lego
    I have not posted here for quite some time. After reading your opinion on skid loaders I know why. First of all everyone always ask's "what plow should I get for my truck?" or "what would you plow this lot with?" Give me a break. Everything that moves snow has it's place. In order to be profitable in this business you need to do one of two things. a.find an account, or accounts that you can best utilize your equipment. or b. get a piece of equipment that will work best for the accounts you already have. My point is everything has it's place. What works great at one property might not be that great at the next. There are a lot of variables to consider.
    Now as far as your 2cents about skidloaders I have this to say. Skid loaders vary in size, speed, and capabilities. Your opinion seems to lack experiance with skid loaders. I have plowed with trucks, From an S-10 with a 6.5' western, F-350 4x4 dump with a 9' Western, I even plowed with a friend of mines Unimog with 12' blade. For the main account that I have had for the last six years the fastest and cleanest way to service this account is with the skid loader I have now with a Blizzard plow. Thats not an opinion, that is a fact. By the way my skid loader has the two speed option and travels around 13 m.p.h. not 2.

246 in action.jpg

6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I agree with u Dynamike

Different equipment for different situations. A big dump is going to clear faster then my F-250 in a huge lot. But that truck can't do a drug store lot easily. The pickup's may not be able to do rabbit warren condo complexes. Where the skid steer makes short work of the job and the snows put in the correct place saving a step.
    I have a Bronco II with a 2 meter Myers " Sidewalk Plower" they called it. Till they seen me in action in one of our 2 rabbit warren condo complexes. The pickup trucks did the major snow moving and I did the drives and circles. Cuts the time in half,go ahead and laugh, I am on the way to the next job and your still running over shrubs and into railroad ties.

That's My .02c

7. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

Legoconstruc,

You also need to take into consideration that when you are plowing a parking lot with a truck you are going to need to either back up plowing nothing or take the time to turn around to take your next run back. With a skid steer with a plow you just spin it in its own tracks and start heading back pushing snow. You get twice the production out of a skid steer with a plow. Now a snowblower on a skid steer. Come to the college campus were I work and were we just had 30+ inches of snow two weeks ago. When my guys are done with the snowblowers the snow is GONE. If you make piles of snow everywere I then will have to hire a loader and truck to haul all the piles away. I think some of the guys have made the point that each piece and type of equipment has a specific task in snow and ice removal.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2003
  8. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

I ran A Case 1840 with blower last season

Hello ,
    I ran a Case 1840 with blower for the state last year cleaning up points, and sidewalks on over/under passes.
    It did a great job, in fact they had the big bosses come down from headquarters to watch this thing work.I had to cut threw over 30" of frozen hard bankings to clear a bunch of the over and under passes that had piled up.
    The only real maintenance was to keep the drive chain adjusted(Took 5 minutes after each day use).It had a hydraulic bypass if it got jambed up so there are no shear pins to deal with,overall very happy with production.
    In fact just added a new case with highflow for the same purpose.

9. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog Senior Member

Why do people post what they know nothing about??????????

10. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Some people just dont like change.

I guess some people if they dont use it it cannot be any good.Thats my best guess anyways.
    Allan

11. skid steers

Lego I have a CAT 966 loader that can not clear snow as effeciently has my CAT skid steer with Erskine blower..... Sure the loader can bucket up more snow. But the skid steer with blower has no wasted motion. Even for ramping up snow my CAT skid steer with tracks/blower will smoke my loader.... When it somes to snow removal I will take efficiency over size or speed anyday...

Good Luck this winter...

12. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Im trying to figure that out myself :rolleyes:

13. getmydrift

getmydrift Member

Blower attachment for skid steer

I live in Lake Tahoe, where 2 to 3 foot snow falls are frequent. I used to use a plow, then came a Bobcat S250 high flow 2 speed, with an 84" Bobcat blower attachment, night and day. customers love it , able to charge a lot more,and very clean job. I started out just wanting something to clear my own driveway, 600 feet, with half at a 6% grade, took on some local jobs to help pay for the equipment, now have enough customers in two years to pay for equip. and supplement my real job as a firefighter. what a country. last season I cleaned a 50' driveway with 9 feet of snow, in about an hour.still use the plow for the little stuff, also added a back drag. :salute: :drinkup:

14. digit

digit Member

Skid steer

Skid steers work better than some people give them credit for and deffiently go faster than two miles per hour. I have a John Deere 260 /2- speed and i believe it goes like 13 or 14 Mph. and by the time you could turn a pickup around i would be back down to other end of lot. I have a 10 ft. box pusher on witch works good for cleaning in front of stores and drives between parking lots we push it out past the cars and then use payloader with 24 ft. box pusher to take to pile.
    Does any one use any kind of special tires on there skid steers for winter?

15. Craftybigdog

They show some tires in the back of the new snow magazine if I could find it!

16. digit

digit Member

What snow magazine and how do I get it?

17. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

We have used tire chains on our three for years. They are great because you can use them even on turf type, baldys, solid what ever tire you run. The traction is second to none! The only thing you need to be cautious with is they can srcatch up the asphalt if you get somebody who doesn't think.

18. tires

A standard skid steer tire ( less tread the better ) with a good set of 2 link chains will work great. We only chain up the rear tires and have no issues with traction on our CAT skid steers.

19. Craftybigdog

Go to snowmagazineonline.com !

20. digit

digit Member

If you have chains only on rear tires will this help from marking pavement?
    About the chains as you can tell I am clueless. Special type? Where do you get them ? are they hard to put on take off or leave them on no matter what depth snow your pushing.