1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blow spreader control boxes!

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by battags, Dec 13, 2009.

1. battags

battags Member

Two years ago I purchased a SnowEx 8000 Vee Box spreader for my 2500HD. I went through three control boxes as they continually threw error codes or just plain fried. A rep from SnowEx even came to the dealer to try to troubleshoot the problem. His solution, give me a whole new spreader. Second spreader experienced the same problems through the first box. The replacement for this one, however, SEEMS to be holding steady for now.

I just bought a Chevy 3500 dump and was looking for an under tailgate spreader. As I am running a Western Wideout for a plow, central hydraulics were useless for plow functions. I decided to save some money and go with an electric hoist for the dump and an electric under tailgate spreader, opting for the Buyers Stainless model.

I was impressed with the construction of the Buyers and it installed relatively easily (other than the fact that it weighs a ton!). I tested it several times before the season began, even running about 300 pounds of bagged salt through it to adjust the spread pattern. Wouldn't you know, the first need for salt, the box blew in the middle of my first lot!! I called the dealer and they tell me there is a service bulletin on that box and Buyers has already released an upgraded box. Fortunately it was under warranty, but a replacement box is $400 hard earned bucks!

Just venting, really, but I'm never buying Snow Ex OR Buyers spreaders again!
  2. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Buyers is replacing that controller under warranty right? Give the new one a chance, I had a couple give up the ghost, salesman tells me some had a programing error whatever that means. But the replacements are running great.

The Karrier units are OK. but if you can buy any of these units for $400 you are getting some great prices suggested retail is plus $700
  4. battags

battags Member

Yep. Warranty. The list price of the box was $400 to replace the Buyers box. I was told that that box is the same one that they used in other applications and have just now realized that it's not the best for the motor set ups on the tailgate spreader. I'll give it a chance, don't worry. I'm just tired of spreader problems!

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The 400 dollar box is a single control not the double control with vibrator, again unless they gave you a VERY good price.
  6. mcgrew1234

mcgrew1234 Junior Member

I have a Western Plow Unimount and I am able to lift it up off the ground in the raise position, but when I want to go left or right all it wants to do is raise it up in the raise position. The problems that I was having were is that I was plowing and lost my top lights, so I cleaned up the connector for the light plug in and also it blew a tail light fuse and dome light fuse, so we replaced the fuse and then we wired the two ports together so I could have lights to continue to plow, because I couldn't get anything. Help. 319-936-4315