1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

blow electrical plug and grease

Discussion in 'SNO-PRO PLOW AND ACCESSORIES by Curtis' started by bow2no1, Dec 17, 2008.

1. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

well i thought i had my plow all ready for the 1st snow.
    plow all painted,new shoes,new lift ram, changed fluid.

this morning i went to hook up the plow and..... Nothing!
    i have moved it around with no problems until this morning.

apparently there is a bad connection the big plug in to the plow frame.
    i greased it up with electrical grease.. i can't remember what it was called came in a small tube from the auto parts store. it helped, but not fully every so often i have to get out and mess with the plug to get things working again..

how do you guys deal with this?
  2. ROYALT91

ROYALT91 Member

Clean it

Clean it as good as you can i used a cleaner and sprayed all the connections and wire brush what you can and use dielctric grease.
  3. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Spread the pins out on the male end plug and crimp any loose ones on the female end. You will probably see a slit in the female end that will allow it to be compressed together carefully with pliers. On the male end an awl can be inserted slightly into the end of the brass pins on the connectors to carefully spread out the pin a little. These get spread out and squashed over time.
  4. ondirtymax

ondirtymax Member

How old is your curtis? Does it have one connection, (square with one side angled?) or two connections? (One square and one for main power and ground)?
  5. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

i dunno what year the plow is, it came with my truck it's an 02
    plug is square with one side angled.

i plowed all day today with it. the first 2 drive way i had to screw with the connector a few times.
    after that i had alomost no problembs.
  6. ondirtymax

ondirtymax Member

You have the old style connector (phase 1), they have since switched to a 2 part connection (phase 2) for that reason, as per the dealer here in ontario, the new one has one square rubber connection and a seperate connection for the 4 gauge power and ground cables, dealer told me $180 for the truck side and $180 for the plow side to convert to the new style, pretty pricey in my opinion!
  7. tc21

tc21 Member

It might be worth it. I have the one plug set up on one of my trucks and man it was driving me mad
    last night. Watching the lights turn on and off. I had a fisher that thad a worn out plug a couple of years back and it did the same thing. They don't give those electrical plugs away. Thats for shure. I might
    just bite the bullet and replace them.
  8. ondirtymax

ondirtymax Member

You could probably just cut the main power and ground cable out of each connector and make your own for them. I've seen the new style, all they use is bullet connectors for 4 gauge wire
  9. tawilson

tawilson Senior Member

I had a Curtis that was prone to breaking wires in the harness where it flexed from raising and lowering the plow. Could be the problem. Usually the plow would work ok when raised then screw up when I lowered it.
  10. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

maybe i'll call the dealer and see what the deal is.
    if they think i can upgrade the connection. i'm all in!

it's still kinda funny i had problems the last 2 stores with the 1st drive way or 2.
    after that almost no problems at all.
    i have greased the heck out of it. to me i'm thinking it's just worn out maybe? hard telling since i didn't buy the unit new. i don't know what it has done in the past. this is the 1st year i have had it.
  11. cvalcik

cvalcik Junior Member

I have two Curtis plows and both had similar problems. Both had the older wiring harnesses so switched both to the new ones. Square plug and separate power and corrected all problems. There have been many problems with the older harness with the angle. Well worth the money to switch.
  12. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

ok, i contacted the dealer.. new style harness started in 04 it's a direct replacment.
    $173 each side