1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bloody Knuckle Frustration??

Discussion in 'SNO-PRO PLOW AND ACCESSORIES by Curtis' started by dirt digger, Jan 5, 2011.

1. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

Ok guys...this thread maybe out of frustration, but really I want to get some tips from some of you who may have done this...

I bought a used Curtis, got a deal on a $900 plow. Figure I put $500 into it and have more or less a brand new plow for under $1500. Bought a new truck side...so I put new hoses on it, new dual plug harness, new lift chain, etc... Plowed great the first time until I went to take it off

The thing died, after some investigation I think its the motor, no biggy, figure I replace the motor and now I really have a brand new plow (minus the hydro pump and valves)

OK, problem 1, getting the motor off..the 2 bolts under the jack stand...you know the ones, the ones that get corroded and rusted fast but can't get an impact on them because the jack is in the way....well after some careful breaker baring they are off

next removing the assembly...no problem...but the 2 hex head screws holding the aluminum valve thing onto the pump are rusted fast as well...ok, disconnect the electics and take the hoses off...but first take the jack valve out, then because of the style hose end take the hoses off the cylinders, run them through the holes in the frame and now I can remove them

Next issue...this is where i need help, removing the motor from the pump. WHY do I have have to remove the reservoir???? That's not that great of an idea...so now I have 4 1/4" screws holding up all my progress...the top two look ok (minus the fact because the way the plastic reservoir was molded I CAN'T get a nut driver or socket on them). The bottom two screws...forget it, they are so corroded because they were sitting in dirt at the bottom of the pan they look like rivets

So now...I need to buy a 1/4" wrench (smallest I have is 3/8)...figure out how to "cut" the screws off the bottom, then hope there is enough left to grab onto with vice grips to remove them, otherwise I will be paying someone to drill and tap them out

I need help guys...is this the way to do it or do any of you have something simpler?

And no...by this point I am not going to replace the guts with Fisher or Western guts

2. amocerino

amocerino Senior Member
    from 01606

To remove the motor if you have a gold motor remove the tin cap and there are two long bolts that go inside the motor to the end head.If you have a black motor the bolts are at the end of the motor.Take the bolts out and the motor pulls out of the pump unit.

3. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

thanks so much Angelo...I figured it was something simple when I layed in bed last night thinking about it.

Thanks again, to anyone needing help with a Curtis Angelo has helped me greatly with my whole set up so far over the phone...should have just called you about it haha