1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Block heaters ideas....

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by plow/truck, Dec 21, 2007.

1. plow/truck

plow/truck Member

I’m looking to put a block heater and a battery tender mounted in the truck. I plan on using a male 110 mount with cover to power both with an extension cord. My real question is what is better for getting the truck warmed up. I don’t live where it gets real cold like most of you:p I’m wondering if there is a block heater that will warm up the water and possibly circulate it through the system and keep the windshield defrosted?
    Is there anything that could keep the cab warmed up & also help keep the glass cleared?
    P/T

Last edited: Dec 21, 2007
  2. MOWBIZZ

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

I was thinking of one of these...just basically a heating blanket but designed for outdoor use...they manufacture these in all sizes.

http://powerblanket.com/p36/Battery-Warmer/product_info.html

Battery_Warmer_Small.jpg

3. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I've never heard of a heater that would circulate the water though the water system. Sounds like a good block heater solution could be just to leave it running :rolleyes: or a heated garage.

4. festerw

festerw Senior Member

There are circulating heaters available, I've seen them at Tractor Supply and JC Whitney. That said you need to mount them low in the engine compartment or they won't work properly, directions say to mount below the block.

5. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Well I stand corrected. I've never heard of something like that. I need to get a block heater for my tractor or do something. I've been having awful gelling problems even though I put additive in.

6. 350-CHEVY

350-CHEVY Member

ive heard that remote car starters work wonders, when you park it at night just turn the heat on high

7. Jakkle5

Jakkle5 Member
    from Mass

get a coolant heating block heater. Like $30 bucks. Nothing out there will keep your windshield defrosted. If you use the coolant heater and then start it you have instant heat which in turn will defrost the windshield right from the start.

8. New Heights

New Heights Senior Member

What about a garage?

9. plow/truck

plow/truck Member

After doing some research I think the block heater will work good enough.

I did some research and think a oil pan block heater is going to be good enough. I found one of these, http://www.engineheaters.com/cgibin...t_id%25%25&xm=on&p_id=154&ppinc=Engineheaters
    I think it is better because it wont hang down. One of the magnet type I found said not to leave it on? I need it to be semi-permanent deal.

p/t

10. plow/truck

plow/truck Member

Nice suggestion. But this is the communities plow, We had a meeting last night and decided
    to park it down the hill near the main intersection so people can pull people out if need be.
    Also makes it easier for our volunteers to get to it and drive.
    p/t

11. plow/truck

plow/truck Member

I found this little jewel......http://www.warehouseautoparts.com/Specials/Kat/Kats_37100_interior_900_watt_heater.htm
    I think it could help keep frost off, but not positive.
    p/t

12. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

I use these...
    [​IMG]

I have two waiting to go on my vehicles now. They circulate the water very well (heat rises and the circulation is due to convection) and you have heat when you get in the truck. Very easy to install...drain the radiator, cut you hose and spring that is on the inside at a point in the hose that is moving up toward the water pump, insert the heater and clamp in place and refill the radiator. Put the cord on and run it through the grill. I also have a magnetic one to go on the trans pan.

13. plow/truck

plow/truck Member

Thats what I was originally looking for. I cant see the brand on it, do you have a link for it?
    Thanks,
    p/t

14. packey

packey Member

I use the freeze plug style block heaters and they work wonderful. then I put a drop light ontop of the starter if it is going to be really cold say -30 *. My vehiclew start pretty good my only problem is I need to replace the carb on my truck so it still takes a couple of minutes to start

15. streetsurfin'

This brand is zerostart. Kat's makes one similar. I purchased over the phone with partsamerica.com. My internet ordering went haywire and it wound up that my wife did the phone order with them. I don't have a link now. You should be able to find an online parts house and look up engine heater-lower radiator hose. My looking for a link at partsamerica.com asked for a zip code so you need to search for your area. Napa should have them or be able to get them, also. Side note... I had one in an 85 plow truck that lasted for twelve years or so.

16. plow/truck

plow/truck Member

Here is the battery maintainer I got. I’ve heard good reposts about this brand and Odyssey batteries recommends them too.
    I found a source for my fender mount A/C plug with cover. This is going to make connections fast and easy. I plan on wiring everything to this one receptacle. I don’t have a picture yet, but will post it as soon as I get it in my hands. I also plan on doing a write up for this site too for the FAQ.
    p/t

2 039.jpg

17. jjtmarineb2

jjtmarineb2 Member

My dad used to put an electric space heater in the cab and plug it into a christmas tree timer, so it would turn on before he left for work in the morning. It worked great and would melt anything off of the windows. Just be careful to put it in a spot that won't catch fire! HAHA!!:yow!:

18. plow/truck

plow/truck Member

Thanks for the info.....I did call Napa to day and they said they had nothing.:angry:
    I call tomorrow and ask for the lower radiator heater and see what they say.
    Have you used the oil pan unit? and you like this better?
    LMK.
    p/t

19. streetsurfin'

I have not used the oil pan type before. I think when I looked into it when I purchased the first one, it was decided on the lower hose type because the were the most efficient/effective. They all work, but the coolant is spread throughout the engine whereas the oil is all in the pan with air over it. I think the coolant probably spreads the heat around the engine faster.
    Some other places you might check...
    AW Direct
    Northern Autoparts
    Farm centers like Fleet/Farm or Farm and Fleet

20. plow/truck

plow/truck Member

I went to parts direct and put in my zip code....said nothing was available :confused:
    But yet they came up with a search for lower radiator hose heater :rolleyes:
    Thanks,
    p/t