1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Block Heater???

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Farmer_01, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Farmer_01

Farmer_01 Member

Does anyone know if Dodge makes a block heater for the HEMI engine?I know for years that they made one for the Cummins and older engines, but havn't heard of any for my HEMI.
    I would like my truck to warm up quicker on those frosty cold mornings:nod:
  2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Dumb question but are you sure you don't have a block heater? Our 98 Caravan has one and it came as standard equipment.
  3. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape Senior Member

If dodge doesn't have one available for your engine, check on the internet for a more generic one that would go in place of a freeze plug if you can find some access. Maybe try an ebay search as well.
  4. SpruceLandscape

I found a block heater for you on ebay that is made just for your truck. Comes with the cord, heater and a wire tie or two, runs for about $57 plust shipping, looks to be a factory piece.
  5. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

If your worried about getting into a warm truck get a remote starter. I had one in my 04 Ram and now it's in my 06. Check out Custom Radio (716) 634-6700 They have the best stuff around. I think they have a coupon in the phone book too.
  6. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

7. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

A remote starter is great. I have one but I still like to plug my trucks in on cold nights, easier and less wear on engines and instant heat. I have them on everything from my Jeep and Toyota to my 550.
  8. zman9119

zman9119 Member

You might want to try DodgeParts.Com I have gotten stuff from them before and they are pretty good. The link above has all the heaters listed for 2002+ Rams.

9. Farmer_01

Farmer_01 Member

So I was searching for engine heaters this week and I can across something I did not know existed. It was a flexible mat that adheared to the bottom of the enginie oil pan.
    It was in a JC whitney catalog and was wondering if anyone has ever had any experience this this product. It seemed like a interesting heater but was wondering what kind of long term reliability it had.
  10. SpruceLandscape

I know of some people who have tried those for use in their race cars to get the oil up to temp, but i do not know if it will give you the kind of results you are looking for in a block heater. if you have an ice cold engine with warm oil running through it, it probably won't take long for that oil to cool down as opposed to a heater that heats the coolant and keeps the whole engine at a certain temp.
  11. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

You mite scrape that mat off going thorough snow banks..
    I think there popular with folks who or are afraid to knock out a freeze plug and install a block heater.
    They have magnetized heaters that you can remove before you use the truck..
    You could put one on eather side of the block one on the oil-pan and one on the tranny pan.

Hey! how about a battery blanket too..lol

I think that a tank heater or block heater is the best way to go. jmo...
  12. Farmer_01

Farmer_01 Member

I also think a block heater is the best way to go. I was just curious if anyone ever tried "the Patch".
  13. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

on a newer Hemi dodge makes a block heater that mounts in the block in a special port they made for a block heater at the factory there is no need to take out a frost plug
  14. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

A buddy of mine has a 2005 with the Hemi and it came factory with the block heater.