1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Block heater

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Lone136, Feb 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lone136

Lone136 Senior Member

So I go to start my truck tonight and and it turns over very slow. After doing some checking some to find out the block heater isn't working. Must have a short in the heater and trips the breaker in my home. What would be the best way to warm the motor at this point or the water and oil. The truck is a 2004 6.0

2. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

If you have a forced air heater, direct it under the truck. If it's outside, put a tarp over it to help contain the warmth.

Could also tske the battery out and warm it up in the house; may just help give a little more starting power to deal with the thick fluids.

3. Lone136

Lone136 Senior Member

I have a large tarp, but No heater at this point. Would you put the heater under the truck say under the bed of the truck and point it to the front of the truck at the motor. I have my plow on the truck so I can't put the heater at the front. I put a call to a friend and he is going to bring his heater over for me to use tonight

4. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

This is why my diesels have 2 heaters. The factory one and a coolant heater on the lower hose. The hose heater helps but doesn't do much, but the one time my factory heater wire was messed up it did help keep it warm enough to start.

5. Lone136

Lone136 Senior Member

I will be looking for new heaters tomorrow, but I have to be able to get it started. I have no time to wait. Snow is coming tomorrow, but will do what has to be done. What a time to have a problem like this

6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Battery charger,
    Or just mp start it.
    Your battery s are getting tired.
    My diesel will start in -32*F with 15w-40 conventional oil,
    Without being plugged in.
    But then again it's a cummins;)

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Original starter?

Those get tired too. Trust me.....

Never really had much problems with 6.0s and cold starting, it's more of a 7.3 issue.

8. MXZ1983

MXZ1983 Senior Member

9. Grump1

Grump1 Member

I have successfully used a drop light with a 100 watt incandescent bulb , positioned against the base of the block. I could get the bulb against the oil pan to help transfer the heat.
    I know it's not ideal, but I would think it's a bit safer than pointing a heater under the vehicle.

I have 2 of the small, I think 200 watt, magnetic, external block heaters. They have worked well for years.

Have a Gorilla brand base heater on current plow truck. It's a gasser, so my friends ask why I bother. But when it's -30 to -40 degrees windchill, things work better with a bit of warmth.
    After the constant cold last winter, my father was convinced he didn't want to deal with another diesel ( truck).
    My buddy has brand new Massey Ferguson tractor, technicians insisted no block heater would be needed, that their's sat outside all last season and fired up no problems. Well guess what, thing wouldn't start all day, until several hours of an external base heater in use.

Good luck

10. Lone136

Lone136 Senior Member

Thank you all for the input. I was able to get it started just now. Got a turbo heater and put it at the the front of the truck P side to get the heat under it. Also put a tarp over the truck as well. After 1 hour it started right up with no problems. Thanks again for the input. Now I just pray for snow and not rain

11. MXZ1983

MXZ1983 Senior Member

You know windchill doesn't change the temp of the block.
    Ambient temperature is ambient temperature. That's the temp of the block and metal parts of the truck and such. Ambient temp is the temp.

12. Grump1

Grump1 Member

Thanks! -12 air temp. Not exactly balmy!
    Wife's Subaru likes a block heater when temps go into the single digits.
    How nice a large heated shop would be... oh well

13. Lone136

Lone136 Senior Member

Welll it was down to -3 last night and didn't get above 5 today so it was cold here. It's going down to -3 tonight. Now that it's running I will go out and start it every 2 or 3 hours so I don't have the same problem tomorrow morning.

14. Grump1

Grump1 Member

I also have a smart trickle charger hooked to several vehicles batteries during cold conditions. That seems to Often be one of the first things to give a hastle.
    Had a heating pad left over from one of the kids pet iguana set ups, slide it in beside the battery in the wife's car. Last year with the cold not letting up, would plug the heating pad as well as the block heater in and had no troubles starting early mornings with temps consistently below zero.
    Full fuel tank, diesel conditioner, a block heater, battery warmer, park in a sheltered area , sums up my cold weather prep.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  15. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Heated shop solves all lol. All my diesels except mine sit inside, it gets to cold here, they take too long to actually warm up. I've actually started to plug them in inside the shop a few hours before we go out. I heat my shop anywhere between 55-65 idle temp. Within 5 minutes they pump out hot heat, generally I'll get to shop 15-20 minutes early and start pulling trucks out.

16. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

before you buy a block heater element, check the cord. i replace 10 cords for every one element.

17. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Excellent point.

18. Grump1

Grump1 Member

Someone is thinking today haha!
    Yep, same here, I found the cord had split on one of the Katz brand magnetic heaters I had, so I just replaced the cord and it's still in use. Forgot about that.

19. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Bingo! I was working my way threw all the posts looking to make sure no one had not posted that yet.

I can't even think of the last time that the block heater itself was actually bad and not the cord. (although it has happened, it has been years for me)

20. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

X4 bingo.......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.