1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Block heater?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by vmj, Jan 27, 2013.

1. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

My back hoe whounded star yesterday since its been REAL cold lately... Had to bring generator down to plug in block heater. I'm wondering if the block heater would work off an inverter off a sep battery. I know they sell plug in inverters, wondering if i wire to a battery? ( ok this might be a little stupid BUT----) Thanks

2. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Block heaters take a lot of juice to operate.Without more info such as the watts your block heater requires,size and CCA of battery,watts of inverter,etc.this doesn't seem like a good idea at all.What's with the generator you mentioned????

3. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

ther is no power at the lot where i hav my salt pile... Machine has always started but it has been real cold here

4. willshome

willshome Junior Member
    from mass

5. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

I'm assuming its diesel. When you go to start it, try hooking up booster cables to a running vehicle right away to give it the extra boost right off the start and cycle the glow plugs a couple times first.

6. hatefulmechanic

hatefulmechanic Senior Member

Best option for you would be a propane infrared heater (Mr Heater) aimed at the block for half an hr before starting.

7. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

it takes some pipe work but, i know of someone that does logging in the winter that had the same problem...his solution was to setup quick disconnects from his pickup heater hose to the machine heater hose, the pickup then warmed the machine engine in a short time

8. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

Quick connects from my pick up to my Iron Mule with a 268 ford diesel. Below 0 to 100 F in20 minutes or less.

9. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

well if thats the case your better off with a big salamanda aim it under the machine to the oil pain and put a tarp over it with a generator running it. block heaters are ment to warm over time not in a few min.

10. 2ExploreSnow

2ExploreSnow Member

To the original question... quick answer No.

There may be some heavy duty versions that could work for a time. I wouldn't want to go away for a few hrs or make that an everyday solution. I can say that a 300watt would not work on a block heater for a JD (Yanmar) mid-compact tractor. Tried that 2 weeks ago during single digit temps. This particular inverter was meant more for small electronics. The fault light came on, no power to cord. That tractor is now parked closer to an outlet...

I usually end up doing what others mentioned earlier, except for the hoses off truck (I'll take a look at that later).

I suppose if I wasn't so tired, I'd look up the block heater specs, just for future reference.

11. 2ExploreSnow

2ExploreSnow Member

I'm sure you know this, so treat it as a reminder...

I've found that at the sign of cold temps (around 20F) it helps to change fuel filter... some filtration systems seem to be 'too good'. When the get any sort of wax or particles in them they end up choking the system ( I ran a trackloader many yrs ago that had a night/day diff after a change, even though it didn't appear dirty)

Along with that a lower viscosity oil... synthetic if you want

After that, talk to the arctic guys. I'm aware of some of what they do, I've just not used it so much. :)

12. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

YA... i didn't think it would work... But i had to ask!! :D I did hear of the heater hose idea before.. Might tri that for next year...

13. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada