1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Block heater timer

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Deershack, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Deershack

Deershack Senior Member

I'm looking for a timer to attach to the block heater that will allow me to turn the heater on at various times during the day. I don't want to leave it on 24/7 but rather cycle on and off at say 3 hrs on and an hour off on a continuing basis. Does anyone know of a supplier?

2. farmer1009

farmer1009 Junior Member

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

4. salopez

salopez Senior Member

go to depot or lowes, they have outdoor timers for xmas lights...they are cheap and rugged.

5. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

just make sure it will handle the pull, they draw alot of juice

6. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

7. Deershack

Deershack Senior Member

Thanks to all for the replies. Most of your suggestions unfortunately seem to be able to turn the heater on and off only once a day.

Glassman: do you know if the controller you suggested is able to operate more then once in a 24 hr period? It's a little spendy but if it would turn on for an hour and then off for say 3 hrs continuously, it would be worth the money. My equipment is stored about 2 mi from the house. I am running a salt truck so I don't get a lot of notice when someone decides they need service, not like plowing when you know the storm is coming

8. farmer1009

farmer1009 Junior Member

The timer that I recommended will let you cycle it to come on and off multiple times a day. I use one very similar to that to control the fans and misters in my aquarium. I have mine set to turn on every hour for 15 minutes.

9. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

We have one for our airplane to keep the oil warm but if Im not mistaken it goes by temp not time, will have to stop by the hanger today and take a peek.

Mike

10. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

I just stopped by the hanger, we have a outdoor timer with multiple times to start and stop and then we also use a heating cube, which only lets it power up the oil heater if the temps are below a certain temp.

Mike

11. festerw

festerw Senior Member

12. dan67

dan67 Member

timer

I use a intermatic timer. I have a couple of timed plugs out at my p/u. Make sure you know amp draw. My powerstroke heater draws 1500 watts. I have it now set for one time but its cap. of multable on offs

timer 001.jpg

13. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

I'm not sure. I heard about it on another site. From the sounds of it you can keep your truck or whatever plugged in for as long as you like and it will always work as long as its cold enough out.

They do have a # you can call

Located in the heart of the Greenbrier Valley
    Rhododrendron Lane. Alderson, WV 24910
    PHONE: (304) 445.2718
    FAX: (304) 445.2463
    Manufacturing facility open daily.....Monday - Friday EST 8:00am thru 3:30pm

there site is http://www.eleproducts.com

14. Mattsautobody

Mattsautobody Member

if you turn it off based on time, you'll lose your warm engine... all that electricity will be wasted.. the only real feasible option would be to switch it based on temperature, but a block is sposed to keep an engine warm after it's already at temperature, not heat up a frozen motor.. my two pennies here

15. dan67

dan67 Member

mine is set for a couple hours before i leave for my day job