1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Block heater question

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by advl66, Jan 31, 2013.

1. advl66

advl66 Senior Member

Is it bad to run the truck if its plugged in? My new truck has a remote start, but I'm just not sure if its bad to run the truck with the block heater plugged in.. Haven't had to use the block heater yet hasn't been that cold since I've had the new truck.. My old 7.3 didn't have remote start so i would just unplug it when i went out to start it.

mods, please move to the Ford Discussion please. Not sure how i missed it.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  2. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

no , its safe . all a block heater is , a heating element pronged up thru your freeze plug to keep your anti freeze/block warm .it has a thermometer sensor also .

no worries mate . :mechanic:

3. matzke3

matzke3 Member

Running an engine with the block heater plugged in may cause cavitation-hotspots on the element leading to premature failure. Frost pluig heaters do not come with an inline thermostat but most circulation tank heaters do.

4. 99LsSilverado

99LsSilverado Junior Member

Like said you run the risk of burning out the element because of the cavitation. And as far as I know GM only uses the thermo resistor on the newer plug ends

5. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

diesel mechanic say , :laughing:

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

This is my first 6.0. Have not plugged it in yet this year. The wife might enjoy the faster heat in the morning. Sssshhhh.......

7. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

do not start with an type of tank heater plugged in....i also have a remote to control my power to the block heater so i can turn the heater off and start the truck...just unplug it when i walk out!....bought it at ace hardware, put a7 watt light inline so i know when it is on