1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

block heater or thermostat?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Sealer People, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Sealer People

Sealer People Senior Member

Hi everyone.

My truck doesnt like to start in the cold weather lol.

Even when plugged in. Im thinking its the block heater. Its plugged in all night & still gives me a hard time starting.

I've been noticing that the truck doesnt get much heat with the heater on while driving, however at the same time, it hasnt overheated much either( which I like)

This chevy 2500, diesel, would normally overheat on me while driving from parking lot to parking lot. (5 - 10 kms).
    It hasnt overheated at all lately but again, at the same time, Ive been lacking alot of heat inside the truck.

My mechanic tells me the block heater is fine & he put in a new electrical chord, I plug her in but I still notice that the glow plugs take forever to get her hot.

Could it be a thermostat that makes for the hard starts in the morning ?????
    Or should I get them to actually check the heating element on the block heater ???

I know diesels dont like to start in the cold, but this truck never really gave me problmes in the past when shes been plugged in all night long.
    My glow plugs are about 3 - 4 years old.

The truck is a 96' chevy 2500 diesel 4x4.

Thanks for any help at all.
  2. Davidl79

Davidl79 Junior Member

I would say to check the heating element. You can always plug it in over night and in the morning pull the radiator cap off and check the temp of the water. The thermostat sounds like the heat issue but, shouldn't effect starting at all.
  3. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

it certainly sounds like you have two separate issues. Thermostat is likely stuck open, and you may have weak glow plugs
  4. hitachiman 200

hitachiman 200 Senior Member

thermostat is stuck open. Block heater is now tring to heat your radiator as well as the block...and is losing the battle. stick a thermometer in and check the fluid temp.
  5. Sealer People

Hi Guys

thanks for the replys, seems like everyone agrees that the thermostat is stuck open.

Im not much of a repair guy, so before my mechanic takes me for a ride,,,

can the thermostat be fixed to close again or does it have to be replaced ?????

Im worried that if it gets repaired,,,, the truck is going to start overheating again while Im driving with the plow on. Its been great lately, Im going for hours with absolutely no overheating issues at all.
  6. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

A new thermostat is about 8 dollars.

Thermostats cycle between open and closed to keep your engine at a designed temperature. Just like in your house-except the change the temp in your truck engine you put in a different thermostat.

Shouldn't overheat providing your fan clutch is good. Biggest issue with overheating on the chevys is the fan clutch.
  7. Sealer People

Ive heard the same thing, however, theyve told me that the fan clutch is working fine & its an HD so already stronger.
  8. hitachiman 200

hitachiman 200 Senior Member

Depending on the amount you drive with the plow on a fanclutch generally is good for 3 to 5 seasons. This is due to the reversed air flow created by the plow. Just like an airplane wing it creates neg pressure behind the blade. This means that the fan must overcome this reversed air flow to cool the engine and work harder and their is more resistance for the clutch to overcome when it engages. it's like starting out on a big hill everytime. Try adjusting the angle and height of the blade sometimes there is a sweet spot that works better.