1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Block Heater is dead... I'm stranded.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by TRUP, Apr 8, 2003.

1. TRUP

TRUP Member

On the way into work this morning, the engine block heater light went on and stayed on for about ten minutes. I hop in the K20 to leave, and block heater light didn't turn on, and the motor(6.2L) won't start. What do I do?:eek:

2. Lawn Pro Enterprises

Lawn Pro Enterprises Junior Member

carry a can of starting fluid with you give the air cleaner a small wiff crank until it starts

3. gslam88

gslam88 Senior Member

Trup,

There are a couple of things to try... 1st try cycling the glow plugs possibly up to 2 or 3 times if need be...

in the rare case that you just need to get the motor warmer and cycling does not work.. .believe it or not.. .use a hair dryer for a bit to warm up the motor... it might work...

Pete

just my .02

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

I assume your talking about the glow plugs,not the block heater.The block heater plugs into 120V AC,to warm the engine up.If you have one,plug it in,and leave it for a few hours,and it will help it start

Starting fluid will get it going.Just make sure those glow plugs really aren't operating....or kaboom !!

Disconnect the glow plugs somehow,and then just use either to start it,it should fire right up.It may stall if it's really cold,so you may have to do it a few times.

If the glow plug light stayed on for 10 mins,then the controller or relay stuck,and may have burnt them,or even all the glow plugs out.

5. TRUP

TRUP Member

The starter fluid worked! THANX. You're correct of-course about the Glow Plugs. I'll check the controller & relays, now that I got the truck home.:)

6. TRUP

TRUP Member

Update on this problem. I replaced the major Glow Plug System componemts, and the truck started without a problem. The items replaced were the Glow Plugs, Relay, and the Controller. Shortly after I had the truck fixed, I ran to the store which is about a half amile away. On the way back, the Glow Plug light started going on and off. I made it home, and let the motor cool off to make sure the Glow Plug System still worked. I guessing that the culprit in this saga is one of the Diodes in the Alternator, which I replaced a couple of months ago. I've seen frequent complaint about this problem on the web, so I figured it's my turn. Is there an Alternator out there with more robust Diodes/features that addresses this issue? I'd hate to think that I have to stock-up on spare Alternators.:mad:

7. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I'm just curious, is it characteristic of the GM diesel to require glow plugs to start in warm weather?

8. TRUP

TRUP Member

I was thinking the same thing you are.
    I tried starting the motor yesterday afternoon before I installed the Controller, and no-go. The temps were in the mid eighties. After installation of the Controller the Glow Plug indicator light stayed on for ten seconds (normal), and I was able to start the motor without a problem. I subscribed to "The Diesel Page" for assistance with this motor, but appearantly they're not very quick, so I'm learning as I go along...

9. PDQ Pete

PDQ Pete Senior Member

TRUP,

Theres a thread on GM Diesel .com that sounds like your problem.
    The high pressure fuel pump was his problem about the same year truck as yours. Hope this helps Pete:drinkup: