1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Block heater cord issue.

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by dieselss, Jan 11, 2015.

1. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Having an issue with my block heater cord tripping my gfci plug when it's wet or frozen. Right this moment replacing the heater cord don't strike my fancy.
    Replacing the end is what I'm thinking, and somehow insulated the wires with sealing tape.
    Anyone else have this issue? Ideas on fixes?
    Also not looking to put on those plug sockets that have the flapper opening either.
    03 ,350

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Block heater..,,,,fancy!

3. dellwas

dellwas Senior Member

Wonder if the liquid tape would work as opposed to sealing tape? I've used it on exposed wires and it works fine.

4. dieselss

Yes, I don't like to smoke out my neighbors...Bahahaha...
    Also I like a nice warm butt when I sit in the seat.....

5. Just replace to the cord from the element it just plugs on to it

6. dieselss

True, getting to it in this balmy weather and the fact that my chickie didn't shovel the drive means it's still snow covered and hard pack.
    No, it's factory ran and a pain to get at with the lower inner fender guard and the plow mount. Really a pain

7. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Mine would blow the GFI non stop. I've found the GFI's are just too touchy. I bought a very good, 100' , 12 gauge extension cord, run from the garage door opener outlet. Never an issue anymore. And I added a three way under the hood. Battery minder and block heater when plugged in :)

8. dieselss

Exactly! Only blows when it's slightly wet. I know it's the truck cord tho.
    I just don't wanna wake up to lights and fire engines at my door one day.

9. 1olddogtwo

10. dieselss

Exactly what I DON'T want Lmfao.....

11. 1olddogtwo

Ur no fun.....lol

12. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

I plan on doing the "Marinco" mod at some point. Opening the hood to plug and unplug is a PITA, can't wait to get it mounted to the bumper. I lack the tools and the ability to do it properly though.

13. dieselss

That's that plug in a housing with a flapper door right? If so that's what our big trucks have/had. They kept freezing shut, or snow and ice would get jammed packed in there and corrode out the plug.

14. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

I cut the plug end off of the cord under the front bumper that goes to my block heater. I bought an emersion heater for my central hydro tank. I took the wire under the bumper and spliced it with plastic wire nuts, (inside an electrical junction box just like all the connections are done in in your house) onto a length of wire I bought at lowes and ran it back to where the hydro tank is on the driver's side and mounted a junction box to the frame rail of the truck. Took the plug I cut off the front and the wires from emersion heater and joined them in the junction box with plastic wire nuts and sealed box. Now, the plug for my block heater is on side of truck in front of rear axle and is protected from the elements by the overhang of the flatbed. So, now when the block heater is plugged in, it is also warming the hydro tank at the same time which helps when I get to my first account, the fluid isn't thick as molasses and the pump doesn't howl like a dieing moose. Real easy and convenient to unplug as I get into the truck and all connections are in weather tight boxes. No tripped breakers, as long as I don't try to run the air compressor in the garage at the same time the truck is plugged in, as both outlets in the garage are protected by the same breaker.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  15. dieselss

That sounds like a nice mod for a flatbed, mines a pickup so I'm kinda limited as to the location.

I'm thinking of cutting off the end, and splicing in a section of double insulated cord and heat shrinking the whole cord that'll be exposed.

16. dieselss

I think I got it fixed.
    From this

tmp_15348-_20150111_135205602917666.jpg

17. dieselss

To this.......

tmp_15348-_20150111_135244-815973476.jpg

18. Why do you have 2 cords

19. 1olddogtwo

one is for the coffee pot, second for seat warmer.

other plug (out of view) is block heater

20. dieselss

Microwave, and tv. Then the block heater

I have no clue. Factory Ford too. The other end was a male 2 plug.