1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blizzrd or Fisher Extreme V?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Alta Lawn Care, Apr 15, 2007.

1. Alta Lawn Care

Alta Lawn Care Junior Member
    from vermont

One of my friends (in business for 10 years) plows with a Fisher Extreme V (stainless) and just bought another one. I think it's 8.5 ' wide. He loves it, says it's fast and scrapes very well. It also can break through 30" of snow like it is nothing. I like this plow because it is almost unstoppable, scrapes well, and is fast. I like the stainless because it doesn't rust, of course.

My other friend (in business for about 17 years) plows with Blizzard plows that extend out with "wings" to 10'. It doesn't back drag well but I like that it can scoop well and basically become a bigger plow with the touch of a button. I don't like that it will get rusty over time.

Does anyone have experience with both of these plows? Which one is better?

2. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

I'm sure you're aware that Fisher has come out with a power wing plow that will scoop for you. It's not a V, but it will be something. The Xtreme V is a very versatile plow, and it will give you many configurations to plow with even if it doesn't extend to 10' like others. The scoop is fantastic for cleanups, which is helpful for lots of applications. Good luck!

3. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

They are both good but they both have different uses. The v blade excels in breaking through deep snow,drifts,hard crusty snow etc. You dont get that breaking through ability with the blizzard but you get the wings which can cut down your time in open parking lots. Pick whatever you think will be more useful.
  4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

We bought a Fisher Extreme SS V blade and the last storm we had I was breaking through wet heavy snow like nothing. A straight blade would have had problems even getting into these lots. I had some issues with our Fisher but they were all worked out and its been a great plow so far. My advise...Go with the fisher.
  5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

How many times do you really need a V plow to break a path through?
    With the average snow fall event I would think a Power Plow would be the choice.
    It drives me nuts to not be able to move the snow like I want.
    I am a subcontractor that gets paid by the hour.
    But, I still feel that a better way to move the snow would help my conscious.
    I have 3 more places to do and I am still struggling with this one!
    Then I have to come back to finish the first one after I am told to go do another 2 !
  6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Good question. IMHO, there are about 3 maybe 4 members that truly need a V-plow on a regular basis. A couple are in CO, the other is in Nova Scotia. This is because they regularly receive large amounts of snow. Most members haven't been plowing very long--and some were not even old enough to remember--but back in the late 80's the only V-plow around was a Diamond until Boss started with their's. The early 90's is when V-plows started hitting the market in a big way. Guess how heavy snows and ridges left by muni plows were taken care of before that? Yep, straight plows. It can and has been done. Back in the late 70's when there were several good, long, cold winters in a row, I don't even think Diamonds were out with a V. Back then it was done with straight blades too. The only V blades that I can remember were fixed and mounted on trucks or graders.

That being said, not everyone needs a Power Plow either. A V plow is second in productivity to a Power Plow, so it really depends on what you are plowing and your typical winter\snowfall. If you want the most efficient plow on the market, go with a Power Plow (and personally I recommend a Blizzard after seeing the videos of the Wideout and XLS, but that's another discussion and think: Do you want the first season's product?)

While I have not plowed with an Extreme V, I have plowed with just about every brand plow out there and there is no other plow that will scrape as good as a Blizzard, other than a SNo-Way with down pressure, although this isn't supposed to be used when moving forward. The only plow I have seen that will 'back-drag' better than a Blizzard is a back (pull) plow. Blizzards put more weight on the cutting edge than any other plow and that is why the better scraping back or forth.

I'm still dreaming of a stainless Blizzard and someday I'm sure it will be a reality. In the mean time, don't let the paint job reduce your money making ability.
  7. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Where is the proof to back up your claims????
  8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Why the doubting Thomas all the time DJ?

I don't have scientific proof, all I have is my experience with multiple different brands of plows and the results I see from them. You don't have to believe me, but I would think that my experience would count for something, but if not, it doesn't matter to me.

Don't you ever just get a gut feeling for something? Like instinct?
  9. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

My fisher scrapes down to the pavement without a problem (except in the most extreme cases) so i dont see how there can be much better than that. To Each His Own
  10. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

I wasn't doubting you! :D :D :D
  11. Vinnie

Vinnie Senior Member

Ive used a few different plows and they all seem to work as well as you care for them (ie. .hitting curbs at 35mph) . Last year I bought an extreme V from fisher and although we don't get much snow here ( compared to when I lived in western NY) the versatility of the scoop and V make tight spots easy.
  12. mgf250

mgf250 Member

V blade or other

Also keep in mind whether your truck can handle the extra weight of the VBlade
  13. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

you could put wings on a V