1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blizzard??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by STRONGARM, Jan 20, 2005.

1. STRONGARM

STRONGARM Senior Member

I'm thinking of putting another truck on the road and wanted to here from some Blizzard owners ,who have had them for a while. I want to know the good and the bad about them. We just got a dealer in the area and they seem great. How easy are they to get on and off the truck? Thanks

2. spacolee

spacolee Member
    from canada

My first one was this year and I like it so far this year it has been out 7 times plowed 5 cm to 15cm of snow all parking lots saved lots of time. My Boss 8.2 works well for in the back Ally's but for pushing the 810 is great. the only prob I have had is the wings freeze after plowing snow or ice build up in the wings stop it to retract. Easy fix I just go to the car wash and give it a bath. with the plows you have now the 810 will work really well especially if you do Parking lots.

3. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

I have had a Blizzard810 since last february. I have plowed 4 major storms with it so far. Each storm takes us about 12 to 13 hours to do.Total plowing hours on it so far is about 65 hours. Large shopping centers to a few res. So far it has been everything that Blizzard said it would be. No problems with the plow so far. It replaced a Boss 8ft superduty straight blade that I used Prowings on. Its really nice to have control of the wings from inside the cab. As far as mounting, the boss is easier and faster to mountup.Mostly because the blizzard light bar is not mounted to the plow A frame.And the Blizzard has 2 seperate pins that have to be installed, just takes 30 seconds to put the pins in. And the boss on my truck lifted higher than the Blizzard and the Boss had a little faster hydraulic action. But I wouldnt trade back to the Boss. We also have a Boss 9.2 V. I know the Blizzard out performs the Boss V when windrowing and carry capacity on fresh snow. The only time that the V would maybe be better is moving slush, but we have not tried the Blizzard in the slush conditions yet.The Blizzard has replaceable wear bushings at the A frame pivots and has plenty of heavy steel in its construction and one single cable conection unlike many of the other plows.

4. ops

ops Junior Member

We have 5 on skidsteers 3 on pickups. They are 8' to 10'. They plow great, save lots of time, and are easy to use. They are expensive to repair, and I would not put them on skidsteers without good operators.

5. ahaycoman

ahaycoman Member
    from Montana

As far as the light assembly goes, I just leave mine on the truck unless I'm taking the plow off for the season or to use on the spare truck. I've put some reflective tape on the light assembly and on the plow that I line up when I want to hook back up again. There may be other plows that are quicker to hook up, but none that I'VE ever owned have been as fast.
    As far as problems go...the wings will sometimes freeze up or pack with snow, especially after backdragging. This can be minimized by watching what you're doing and by not backdragging with the wings extended, but you probably won't be able to completely eliminate it. It hasn't concerned me all that much because it's a quick fix and you're off and rolling again.
    But as far as performance (of the 810) goes...if plowing time saved means anything, it's awesome. Provided you have it mounted on a heavy enough vehicle--HD3/4T to 1T--the bigger the area, the better this plow likes it, but in drive-thru's, narrow alleys, small areas, etc. you might not see much advantage to it's huge capacity especially on the larger and heavier vehicle. In fact you might even prefer a smaller unit on a smaller vehicle for those jobs. I only do one lot that is like that and I could probably plow it a little faster with a jeep, blazer, or something similar, but it still only takes me about 8-12 minutes, so I live with it.
    Since I bought this Blizzard 810 three years ago I don't know why I would ever want to go back to anything else.