1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blizzard wing durability

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by joe2113, Dec 6, 2010.

1. joe2113

joe2113 Junior Member
    from Midwest

Has anybody ever smoked a curb, manhole cover, etc. with a speedwing or powerplow and bent a wing to where it can't retract anymore? Two people have told me this is common with Blizzard plows, but neither of them operate one. I'd like to hear some input from people who actually use them, because expandable wings seem like a great idea if they hold up through regular use.

2. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

so smoking a curb and manhole cover is regular use? sounds like you need a tank lol

I havent had to many problems with mine. I was in a accident with mine and it took a whole wing off. But the only time i have had it to where it wont retract anymore is when i had snow crammed in the slide box.

Its not a tank, but it is well engineered.

3. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I clipped a wing last year and bent the edge of the slidebox into the wing preventing it from retracting. A quick phone call and hammer and crowbar later I fized the problem!

I know guys running heavy trucks behind these plows, 12K and up. With that kind of weight, something will always have to give....

4. joe2113

joe2113 Junior Member
    from Midwest

I looked into a tank with a flamethrower attachment but trailering it from site to site would be a PITA lol. But yeah once or twice a year I'll forget about a manhole or drain cover or something at one of my accounts, the cd player skips and I lose a blade full of snow. I would hate to mangle one of those wings and lose the feature i bought the plow for.

5. joe2113

joe2113 Junior Member
    from Midwest

Cool thanks for the input, I'm glad to hear that after being bent back it still worked.

6. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Usually if it happens the wing gets stuck out. I've had mine for three seasons now, bent a wing the first time out and it stayed out till I was done. Pulled it a part and straightened it out, reinforced it a bit and put it back together. It still works today. I ran it hard last year, generally 12-14k behind the plow and it keeps ticking, wouldn't want to use anything else.

7. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

Well i just remember what i normally do. I mention that snow can get stuck in there also. If it gets stuck out on me. I pull it in as far as it will go, then push the plow gently against a curb. It goes back in everytime.